New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

DJ equipment

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJ570

DJ570 is on a distinguished road

So i recently bought a macbook pro and i wanted to mess around with DJing and mixing songs. What equipment and software would I need, I'm a beginner with all of this so any help will be awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Well I'm no professinal by any means, but you can djay with simply iTunes and Garageband if you want I use Garageband to make IDs for made-up stations, export them to iTunes, and add my favorite music, plus some live announcements!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
DJ570

DJ570 is on a distinguished road

thank ill look into that but i want to buy like a truntable and everything lol
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Well it's just a simple hobby for me and I'm not made of money, so I do fine as I am

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

IMHO you should go the digital dj route. The DJ mixers nowadays have usb and FW conections to connect to Laptops and connections for thumb drives, hardrives and iPods. A far cry from my days of djing with turntables, needles and vinyl.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
eskimo810

eskimo810 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Uni. 2.4/4GB/320GB/9600mGT 256MB

yeah but turntables still have their uses. As they give more control when mixing songs and gives you the ability to "scratch." Thats why there are digital turntables like serato itch systems. And i'm no pro either, i dont even own my own decks, and to tell you the truth i'd probably try to go on another forum about this.

I just googled real quick and this is what i came up with:
dj forums - The Worldwide DJ Community - Powered by vBulletin

Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough

Don't get me wrong... I have DJ'd for the past 22 years and have over 5000 records which i would never get rid of.
I just mentioned going the digital Dj route because I have run into literally hundreds of want-to-be Dj's who see me DJ and want to dj/scratch with turntables and records. When they finally realize how hard and costly it is to constantly purchase records, the cost of 2 turntables, the cost of up-keep of needles every 6 months and let alone carrying heavy record crates from gig to gig, they end up going digital.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
djrobt

djrobt is on a distinguished road

well the easyest and cheapest way is beatport sync , its freeware and its based on tractor dj,

at the other side if you want better and more pro progs you can buy or download virtual dj , tractor dj , ableton pro , ...

all these progs i've workt with and they work pretty nice

but nothing beats djing with real turntables and cdplayers :p
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Don't get me wrong... I have DJ'd for the past 22 years and have over 5000 records which i would never get rid of.
I just mentioned going the digital Dj route because I have run into literally hundreds of want-to-be Dj's who see me DJ and want to dj/scratch with turntables and records. When they finally realize how hard and costly it is to constantly purchase records, the cost of 2 turntables, the cost of up-keep of needles every 6 months and let alone carrying heavy record crates from gig to gig, they end up going digital.
Or just switch records for something like Serato Scratch Live.

It uses time coded vinyls you use with any standard set of tables and lets your scratcg/mix using traditional turntables and any music on your pc.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Zippy

Zippy is on a distinguished road

I use an idj from numark. Recently they dropped in price from $300 to under $150. It allows you sync 2 ipods, turntables, cd players etc. Easy to use and light weight.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!! iPod DJ"s!!!!!

QUOTE Thanks
Zippy

Zippy is on a distinguished road

20 years of carrying too much equipment~ I love being an ipod dj.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
20 years of carrying too much equipment~ I love being an ipod dj.
I joke... I joke. I kid... I kid.

QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

I am a DJ and trust me, Traktor is the only way forwards. You can set it up so many ways. I warmed up from Graeme park a few weeks ago, he uses it, Danny rampling uses it, they all use it. Trust me.

Don’t buy any other decks than Pioneer.

Ill post a pic of my set up once i rearrange my office/studio in next few days

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahja View Post
I am a DJ and trust me, Traktor is the only way forwards. You can set it up so many ways. I warmed up from Graeme park a few weeks ago, he uses it, Danny rampling uses it, they all use it. Trust me.

Don’t buy any other decks than Pioneer.

Ill post a pic of my set up once i rearrange my office/studio in next few days
You funny techno fellows...

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any program like Mediamonkey but for Mac?? | iTunes Podcasts Downloads Stopped »