New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Renaming Music Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

taran_wanderer

taran_wanderer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4Gb DDR3 RAM - 320Gb HD 7200rpm

Hey all,

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on the topic.

I am pretty anal about my music collection, and I have a certain way to name all of my files.

Band - Album - Track # - Song Title.mp3

eg. Pink Floyd - Animals - 01 - Pigs On The Wing (Part 1).mp3

A lot of the downloads I get have different naming conventions, Track # - Song Title.mp3, etc.

I've been changing these manually for all of my 7500+ songs, and now that I've switched to mac, I'm sure there has got to be an easier way.

I'm positive I've heard/read something about a program that automatically renames your music files for you (not iTunes, I don't like it's sorting method), but I can't remember.

Any help?

OH, and a newbie question - I like having all my folders within another folder listed alphabetically at the top of the window, not scattered within the folder... any setting I could use o ensure that all the folders are at the top?

Thanks so much!!!

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taran_wanderer View Post
OH, and a newbie question - I like having all my folders within another folder listed alphabetically at the top of the window, not scattered within the folder... any setting I could use o ensure that all the folders are at the top?

Thanks so much!!!

Ian
Can help with this question..

Go into the folder/file you want and press cmd>j and then you can change how they are organised. In Arrange By you will have ..... Last modified, last created, name, size, label and kind. If you check Name they will be sorted in the folder alphabetically.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Ahem - shameless plug:
equinux (where I work) has an app called SongGenie that can do this:
equinux - Apple Software for finding, applying ID3 meta tag music information

It looks the data up acoustically, so even if your song isn't tagged at all, it will recognize and tag it.
QUOTE Thanks
taran_wanderer

Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4Gb DDR3 RAM - 320Gb HD 7200rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Ahem - shameless plug:
equinux (where I work) has an app called SongGenie that can do this:
equinux - Apple Software for finding, applying ID3 meta tag music information

It looks the data up acoustically, so even if your song isn't tagged at all, it will recognize and tag it.
Appreciate the help, but I'm looking for something that will change the file name, not the ID3 Tag. Well, both in reality.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
taran_wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedmac View Post
Can help with this question..

Go into the folder/file you want and press cmd>j and then you can change how they are organised. In Arrange By you will have ..... Last modified, last created, name, size, label and kind. If you check Name they will be sorted in the folder alphabetically.

Cheers
hey, thanks for your reply, but not exactly what I was looking for. Is there a way to sort by type AND name, so that all of the folders will be at the top of the screen followed by the rest of the files?

Example...

I have a "Downloads" Folder that has 6 folders in it. and about 30 other files at any given time.

I want the folders to aways be at the top of the window, and the rest of the files to be underneath them. If I sort by type, the folders are grouped together, but not always at the top. If I sort by name, all the files in the window are alphabetical, but the folders get split up by name as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Like I said before, thank you for trying to help.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

This may do it

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ Rename Files v1.2.1

If it doesn't then there will be something on Doug's site that will

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SkullCandy SkullCrushers vs. Hesh | How do can make remixes »