New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

basementjack

basementjack is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm trying to do a screen recording for a product review of fuzzmeasure pro I am doing. I'm kind of new to Mac - a while back I saw a program called iShowU HD which looked awesome and affordable - I figured when I bought a mac one day, that'd be the one I'd get, but now Camtasia is out too, and to complicate matters, I did a search and found there are at least 10 screen recording apps out there.

Any recommendations?

- Jack
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...-software.html

Mac Software for Screen Recording

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...-solution.html

Screen Capture software like SnagIt?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I like screen flow, just because it's also a movie editor too. You can do a lot of neat effects.
QUOTE Thanks
basementjack

basementjack is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Any thoughts on screen flow vs camtasia vs iShowUHD?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"
Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.
They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
richsadams

richsadams will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.
Maybe you saw the Windows version ($299 )? Camtasia for Mac has been $99 since August 25th when it was released.
QUOTE Thanks
alittlecurious2

alittlecurious2 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...
yes, but there is a big but! Quicktime X puts the movie into too large of a format to use to burn to a dvd, that is the problem i am now having after someone told me to upgrade to snow leopard...read my thread, upgrade to snowleopard or keep existing leopard. This is so aggrevating to me.
QUOTE Thanks
nikonjems

nikonjems is on a distinguished road

snow leopard - Quicktime X is good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes library mixed up | iTunes warning »