Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which audio editing software do you recommend?
    Hi guys,

I've been researching which audio-editing software to buy for over a year now, and I still haven't found anything that's "just right" for my needs. Please help.

So here's what I need the software to do. I'm a pianist, and I play a REAL piano (not a keyboard). I make recordings of my piano compositions. The problem is, neither my piano nor my recording equipment are very good, so I'm looking for a software that will make the recordings sound more professional. Also (and this is very important), I need something that will allow me to edit mistakes and merge different takes.

For a while I thought Logic was my solution. But I bought a Logic handbook and found that Logic is geared more towards people who want to create midi or digital music. When I asked a Logic user if it was possible to edit a live performance with Logic, he said "yes, but it's difficult. Logic works best when you're working with digital music that has a consistent beat." (Much as I had suspected).

Is there anything on Mac that focuses especially on old-fashioned live recordings? ALSO: it would be great if the software were compatible with Audioease plug-ins.

Thanks SO much. (I'm off to bed now, but I'll read and reply to your responses tomorrow afternoon

Specs:
    Mac Pro: 2 x Quad Core Xeon 3.0, 8 Gb RAM, 4TB Storage, 8800 GT
    There is nothing that Logic cannot do. With the proper plugins (waves etc.) you will be able to edit your music very succesfully.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
    There are many many programs out there that will fit your needs but it all comes down to preference, and how deep your pocket is.. how convenient right? I've used a lot of different programs and the only one I've really "settled" completely with is protools. Many people don't like protools because it's a very expensive investment, but if you're looking to get the best editing/recording software - I think that's the way you should go. There's a lot that protools can do in which many people don't know about, you just have to really research it.
    There are other ways to go that are a lot cheaper, but if you're really looking to make your recordings sound the best they can, protools is the top of the line software.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicboy View Post
    ...When I asked a Logic user if it was possible to edit a live performance with Logic, he said "yes, but it's difficult. Logic works best when you're working with digital music that has a consistent beat." (Much as I had suspected).
    Using a digital means of editing in order to edit a live performance is more difficult than working with a straight up computer-generated tempo.
    The same would apply to any software program you use.

However, it can be done and it is done every day by audio professionals.

I record live using Logic and while it does take some getting used to, it is not impossible.
    Just use a digital metronome to keep your tempo while you play/record and it will make your editing much easier.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurr187 View Post
    There are many many programs out there that will fit your needs but it all comes down to preference, and how deep your pocket is.. how convenient right? I've used a lot of different programs and the only one I've really "settled" completely with is protools. Many people don't like protools because it's a very expensive investment, but if you're looking to get the best editing/recording software - I think that's the way you should go. There's a lot that protools can do in which many people don't know about, you just have to really research it.
    There are other ways to go that are a lot cheaper, but if you're really looking to make your recordings sound the best they can, protools is the top of the line software.
    Yeah, Protools does look a bit too expensive for me. But thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    Using a digital means of editing in order to edit a live performance is more difficult than working with a straight up computer-generated tempo.
    The same would apply to any software program you use.

However, it can be done and it is done every day by audio professionals.

I record live using Logic and while it does take some getting used to, it is not impossible.
    Just use a digital metronome to keep your tempo while you play/record and it will make your editing much easier.
    Thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately the type of music I play is non-metric. It would be impossible to play it with a metronome.

And that's exactly why I don't like Logic. It's so obviously geared towards metric, digital music. And while, yes, you can do the same stuff with live, non-metric, it doesn't seem like that's what the program was really built for, you know? I'm concerned that if I spent all that money on Logic and end up never even using half the stuff in it and would have to get around the default settings in order to do what I wanted to. That's the problem I've had with Garage Band and I HATE it.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    If your looking for something reasonable priced and will let you record and edit and do quite a few things to the recording you might consider giving Amadeus Pro a look. A fairly full featured audio recording/editing program that doesn't cost an arm or leg, yet gives good results.

Search - VersionTracker
    Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - Quad Core - 16 Gigs Ram - 10.11.2 - 30" Apple Monitor
    iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro

UltraMixer Free 2.3.8

There's always Cubase. Good Quality bit of kit. It's not cheap mind but it's not ridiculously expensive. But I don't know the in's and out's of it, so I don't know if it would be idea for what you need. But look in to it, you never no it might be OK.

Why is it a No to GarageBand? it has plenty of options, and as long as you mic your piano properly, the sound can only be better. there are plenty of plug-ins that you could add to get the sound you want. I have had plenty of success, I use an XLR to USB Mic, and while there is no effects for a "Real Piano Instrument", the effects in the Master Track can level a lot of things out. especially the "Pop Warming" effect... Good luck in your ways
    MacBookPro 17"
    2.8 Dual Core
    2 GB RAM
    GarageBand, Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro are the Specialties...

Specs:
    Custom PC
    To be honest, your recording software is only as good as the mediums used to capture your sound.

Invest in good mics/digital interface to record to a computer. Shure SM57's are great for recording and are about $100 each.

I've used many different pieces of software including Logic, GarageBand, and Cake Walk Pro Audio 9 (on Windows).

Try different ones out, and pick the one that you feel most comfortable with.

I've used Bias Peak for audio editing since its inception. Can't complain.

Specs:
    mac pro 2.66 dual core 5 gigs of ram with duel 22" monitors
    protools is the way to go. for somewhere around $400 you can get protools LE with a mbox 2 which will allow stereo recording which is always a plus for live piano. and like said before, sm 57's are great for recording.

First I tend to go in with Garageband and set up my basic track. Then I set my metronome up there and fire up Logic and do everything that I find necessary there. Once I think everything's set using Logic, I set it up on Adobe SoundBoard CS4 and do my final editing there before I get to a finished product.

Z

Audacity is a really good free software

Thread Information