St. Somewhere
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    New Beatles Remasters and iTunes Bit Rate
    Hi All, I have just purchased three of the newly issued Beatles remastered albums (Magical Mystery Tour, White Album and Let It Be). Given the incredible care that went into producing these (I read one review where the reviewer likened it to the care that went into translating the Dead Sea Scrolls!) I decided to up the bit rate for the import to iTunes highest rate, 320 kbps. I am not sure if it will make any difference; I will report back after I have listened to both the original CDs and the ripped versions, as played back through my iTouch.

Has anyone else done something like this? Did you find it to be of value in terms of the resulting sound quality?
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

I ripped the first time on Apple lossless, then determined that I was unable to tell the difference between the lossless versions and 256 VBR. Not sure if I'm just not a discerning listener or if my audio equipment just doesn't cut the mustard. I stayed at the lower bitrate as the file sizes were about one-third the size.

MacBook, Iphone 3G 16GB
    It all depends on the equipment u use to listen and how trained/good your ears are.

Needless to say that listening to loss-less music on your macbook's internal speakers doesn't make sense. With a good headphone you should be able to hear a difference, but don't expect to hear something completely different.
    Check Out my OSX oriented blog:

On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    In the past I have played with different bit rates for ripped CDs. The higher the bit rate, the more likely you are to here subtle differences, even via an iPod.

You paid good money for those remastered albums. Why not listen to them in the best quality you can, lossless, or at minimum, 320kbps ACC.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Thread Information