New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Can't record streaming audio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

olicorse

olicorse is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I don't really know anything about sound recording, so this may be a painfully simple issue and if so, I apologise...

I'm trying to record a digital radio broadcast and have downloaded numerous programs to do this (Audacity, Soundflower etc) and none of them seem to work.

When I've gone into my Sound Settings i've noticed that when I go into the Input tab, if I have the Internal Microphone: Built-in Microphone selected, the meter recognises any sound I make. However, when I select Line In: Built-In Input, the meter doesn't move at all, even though I'm playing music or something.

As I say, this might be something ridiculously obvious, but I have no knowledge in this field whatsoever and the few things I can think to try have not worked.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Oli
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

I can highly recommend Audio Hijack Pro.

Works wonders for me!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

I'm not clear - are we talking about FM radio or a stream?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

For streaming audio i use VLC

If you running SL you will have to have rosetta installed.

if you want to record streaming if you have VLC
goto
File/Streaming/Exporting Wizard
you get

As you click next you will be asked what format u want to save it in. RAW works for me.
Then select a place to save it to. And the last place is a Summary page. Check if all is good then click finish and then you should have the stream recording..

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by olicorse View Post
Hi everyone,

I don't really know anything about sound recording, so this may be a painfully simple issue and if so, I apologise...

I'm trying to record a digital radio broadcast and have downloaded numerous programs to do this (Audacity, Soundflower etc) and none of them seem to work.

When I've gone into my Sound Settings i've noticed that when I go into the Input tab, if I have the Internal Microphone: Built-in Microphone selected, the meter recognises any sound I make. However, when I select Line In: Built-In Input, the meter doesn't move at all, even though I'm playing music or something.

As I say, this might be something ridiculously obvious, but I have no knowledge in this field whatsoever and the few things I can think to try have not worked.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Oli
Unless you have a microphone plugged in to your computer, the "Line-In" option won't work. If your microphone is not plugged in, the Internal Microphone is your best bet.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 5.1 sound on a macbook | Itunes - Album Cover Artwork »