New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Streaming Music through the Audio Line In

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skeens

skeens is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new here and I plan on staying around because this looks like a pretty cool site. Anyways, I was wondering if this was possible:

Is there a way to stream audio into my MacBook using the Audio Line In port and play it through my MacBook? Basically, I have an AirPort Express and an old Record Player. I want to be able to plug my record player into my MacBook and have it stream through the AirPort Express to a stereo in another room. I have an apartment and I'd like to be able to have my record player in my room but, if possible, play it through a stereo that is not in my room. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
music210cf

music210cf is on a distinguished road

In order for this to work, your record player must have an output port. Does this seem to exist on your record player?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

As long as the Record Deck has a built in pre-amp then yes. Without it you will get such a low volume you'd have to crank things right up and you'd have all sorts of background noise too.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Rimmer

Rimmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeens View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I plan on staying around because this looks like a pretty cool site. Anyways, I was wondering if this was possible:

Is there a way to stream audio into my MacBook using the Audio Line In port and play it through my MacBook? Basically, I have an AirPort Express and an old Record Player. I want to be able to plug my record player into my MacBook and have it stream through the AirPort Express to a stereo in another room. I have an apartment and I'd like to be able to have my record player in my room but, if possible, play it through a stereo that is not in my room. Thank you!
Your record player needs a preamp. The signal is very low and needs some sort of balance amplification.

There are options out there (although they are thin'ing out with the advent of USB turntables). I think then a program like Audacity (and don't quote me on this as I haven't used it for some time) should allow you to select your audio input as a monitoring input, so you can hear it. If it doesn't work then there are other options...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
Your record player needs a preamp. The signal is very low and needs some sort of balance amplification.

There are options out there (although they are thin'ing out with the advent of USB turntables). I think then a program like Audacity (and don't quote me on this as I haven't used it for some time) should allow you to select your audio input as a monitoring input, so you can hear it. If it doesn't work then there are other options...
Audacity will allow this yes, as will Audio Hijack. Most older record decks do have a pre-amp, and Bush still make ones with. You can get a good pre-amp for £30 or so though. I have one, and a Bush TT.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
skeens

Yess I do have an amp for the record player. And then I would plug the amp into the line-in port on my Mac.

Is there a way iTunes can play what's going into the line-in? So that I can use the AirPort Express? Or can I connect to my AirPort Express and play the music through Audacity?

Thank you very much for all of your replies!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

With Airfoil you can send any audio on your computer to an airtunes device.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
skeens

Yes thank you! That's the application I was looking for.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Delete songs from iTunes. | mac users and cambridge audio 840c »