New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Air Tunes - Does this actually work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spolebitski

spolebitski is on a distinguished road

So I have an Air Port Express with the intention to use Air Tunes hooked up to my stereo. This is so hit or miss when it works. Sometimes it will play fine other times it will play 2 - 3 seconds then cut out come back in 5 - 7 seconds later other times just not come back.

I have tried to adjust the wireless frequency from 1 to 11. Sometimes it works others it doesn't.

This part is odd about 95% of my music library is .mp3 and for some songs one frequency will work but for other songs it doesn't. Should the actual .mp3 file affect the frequency that works best on itunes?

When I go to the apple store I ask how air tunes works and they tell me how great it is and they have never had issues like I describe. The next step would be to bring in my stereo, router, air port express and show them exactly what is happening but I don't think it would fly bringing all the equipment. And i'm sure they will brush the reason why it doesn't work is because of the stereo or the fact that i am using a linksys router (non-apple products so of course they are the problem).

Has anyone had problems using airtunes? Would some .mp3 work better than other on different frequencies? Does the quality of the .mp3 play a factor 128 vs 320?

My system using the following MacBook (intel based) Linksys Wireless B Router, Air Port Express (excessively for air tunes), awia (yeah i know awia) shelf stereo.
QUOTE Thanks
ErikJenkins1187

ErikJenkins1187 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac

Do you have IPV6 enabled in your network settings? If you don't AirTunes will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Do you use any 2.4 GHz wireless phones? That could be interfering with your wireless communication to the Airport Express. I had problems with my wireless connection dropping out whenever the phone rang or someone called out, my wireless would drop or be severely affected. Once I upgraded to 5.8GHz phones my problems stopped. Since then I've upgraded to the "wireless friendly" DECT 6.0 phones and I still haven't had a repeat occurance.

Likewise, since the switch to 5.8 GHz, my AirTunes has streamed flawlessly without any hiccup or interference at a distance of 40 ft to the base station, my model is the 802.11g.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MP3 in Finder, but AAC in Itunes | iTunes question »