New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Looking for software that will create and produce music

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dunkymac

dunkymac is on a distinguished road

Hi, sorry if i'm posting this in the wrong place or it's been answered a million times already

Basically, i'm trying to decide what software to buy. I'm about to upgrade my ancient ibook G4 to a shiny new macbook. i'm looking for software that will let me create mixes and also experiment with producing my own music (mostly of an ambient / glitchy / electronica style). my only experience of using music software on the mac was messing about with cubase about 10 years ago. i'm now totally bewildered by all the choices out there, and would really appreciate any advice from you guys. p.s. i don't want to bankrupt myself!

thanks for taking the time to read this
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Garageband is ok. If you get the Toast 10 Pro package it comes with Sonicfire included, and while I haven't played with it at all, it has an absolute stack of samples included, so would be something worth looking at. I don't know how much it costs, but as Toast is around £120 (unless you know where to look ) I would imagine much less.
Here's a link to the softwares site:

SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 - Overview

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Anesthetize

Anesthetize is on a distinguished road

If a budget is no problem at all, Logic Pro 8 and Ableton Suite 8 are pretty much everything you'd ever need.

However, a much cheaper solution would be Reaper (REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits). Reaper is a uncrippling shareware DAW (digital audio workstation), quite similar to Cubase but I find it more flexible.
QUOTE Thanks
dunkymac

dunkymac is on a distinguished road

thanks for the ideas guys, i think i'll give reaper a go, at least until i can save up for something like ableton
cheers!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Digital Audio Out Breaking Up | Need advice on GarageBand update. »