New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Harman Kardon soundsticks - suddenly not working!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mmmrk

mmmrk is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm having problems with my soundsticks! They were working just fine, full volume and everything, and all I did was lift up the woofer part and tilted it to the side for a few seconds - and all the volume cut out!
I checked all the wires and inputs and everything was normal ...eventually some of the sound has returned but nowhere near full volume! I also checked the volume on the soundsticks, but can't get anymore volume out of it - the volume out of the woofer is definitely not what it should be. It used to be that when I plugged into my laptop the stereo reverb or whatever it is made a crackly sound - like it was working - when I plug into my laptop now, I get no such sound....i'm getting less than half of the capable stereo sound out of it!

Has anyone experienced similar problems and know of any helpful hints? Can anyone help? THANK-YOU!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Sounds like the subwoofer amp blew out. Tis a shame... those HK Soundsticks are outstanding speakers. I have them myself and wouldn't consider anything else as long as they are available.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mmmrk

thanks for your reply lifeisabeach....subwoofer blew out? just like that, all of a sudden?!?! just by picking it up? arrgh!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmrk View Post
thanks for your reply lifeisabeach....subwoofer blew out? just like that, all of a sudden?!?! just by picking it up? arrgh!
That's my best guess. Maybe there was some moisture built up and moving it was just enough to get the wrong something wet. You should also double-check all your wires to be absolutely certain they aren't compromised in some way, especially the plug side where they may face extra torquing when moving the subwoofer.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mmmrk

ok thanks for your help....it's still a mystery to me
QUOTE Thanks
PMA

PMA is on a distinguished road

That's interesting. I just did a search about this and this forum and thread came up. I just had the same thing happen. At first I thought it was the source material being too low but then realized that it is the Soundsticks. I haven't really used them very much and haven't moved them or seen any possible issue that would affect the cables. To just have something suddenly not work properly seems very odd. I can still hear music although it is extremely faint. Seems that the speakers and the sub are still processing sound but at very low volume. Can these be fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
PMA

And now, after reconnecting several times, they are working at full volume and performance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
And now, after reconnecting several times, they are working at full volume and performance.
Awesome... that had to be a relief. It still sounds like something is awry there, so don't be surprised if that amp eventually does bite the dust. That happened with my last 2.1 speaker set from Klipsch. It was a great sounding set of speakers, but the amp died on me after barely a year. Turns out the Klipsch subwoofers from that set were highly unreliable. If you look on eBay, you'll see a LOT of listing for subwoofer-less speaker sets (that originally came with subwoofers) and more listings for non-functioning Klipsch subwoofers that orginally came with a pair of speakers. So far my HK Soundsticks have been performing like champs.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
PMA

Well, it's back to no audio or very faint audio. Not sure why these should be intermittent when they are on all the time and not being moved.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Loose wire? Poor solder? Amp shorting out? Frayed cable? Who knows? Broke is broke.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Peerke

Peerke is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread but since it's the first hit on google and therefore probably the most viewed, I'd like to dig it up by adding a comment.

Perhaps this is really obvious but what has helped me was checking if the volume on one of the speakers is turned on. Somehow (aliens) the volume of the speakers was turned down and I couldn't hear a thing. After pushing the plus button repeatedly I could hear music again.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Harman Kardon Aura Wireless Speaker System - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's not the Soundsticks, but it will certainly remind you of the subwoofer.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Harman Kardon Aura Wireless Speaker System - Apple Store (U.S.)

It's not the Soundsticks, but it will certainly remind you of the subwoofer.
$400????!!!! EGAD!

Man this is one old thread. And my own Soundsticks mentioned earlier are still alive and sounding strong.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Those same HK Soundsticks were recently on sale at the local Navy Exchange store we use here in Fort Worth. They were reduced to $125.00. I almost bought them but had already spent too much that day on other stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.4, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 7, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I've had my soundsticks for 6 or 7 years (I think) with no problem other than the glue that holds both parts of the satellite speakers failing. They're now held together with a zip tie each but for the sound quality, price and length of time I've had them I can forgive that.

It was here in Hamburg that the Rutles found themselves far from home, and far from talented.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MuseScore Player | Blues and GarageBand 10.0.2 »