New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

M4P to MP3 conversion freeware?

Thread Closed

Jdansinger

Jdansinger is on a distinguished road

I am unable to burn mp3 cds from itunes even though I own the original cds and ripped them into my library using itunes. I think I would have to re-import them using mp3 encoder settings. I know there is software that creates a virtual cd burner and burns a virtual wav cd on your hard-drive, then allows you to burn a mp3 cd from the virtual drive. Those programs cost about $40. Is there any free-ware to do this? Should I change my itune settings so it no longer burns m4p(aac), but mp3 instead? Is there a disadvantage to mp3 versus aac?
Thanks!
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you trying to burn a cd from mp3s or mp4s? If you're having problems with mp3s, convert them to mp4 in iTunes (right click a song and choose "Create AAC Version").

Do you get any error messages?
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Lets step back in this. M4p are protected aac files, meaning they have DRM applied and while this is defeatable, this is not (I believe) an acceptable topic of discussion here.

Next, why can't you burn mp3? It's an option once you click on 'Burn'

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
Jdansinger

Thanks Mike. I selected the mp3 option, but itunes would not burn the mp3 disk (due to drm issues). I think it is because when I originally ripped the cds, itunes created m4p files with drm. I can understand if I purchased the files from itunes with drm, but these were cds that I own.
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

iTunes won't rip and create DRM, that's only applied to iTunes Store songs that I'm aware of. They should be m4a ?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

re-rip them from the CDs, after setting MP3 as the import format

odd, since iTunes doesn't add DRM to ripped tracks

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
Jdansinger

The songs I bought and the songs I ripped are all m4a files? I did find a tab in itunes that allowed me to make an mp3 version of a tne i bought on itunes. I don't understand why it allows me to make an mp3 version but not burn an mp3 disk. I'll just re-rip a disk with the mp3 setting and try to burn it as an mp3 disk.
Thanks everyone!

Thread Closed

« How do i connect my mac G4 to an amplifier | Weird problems with GarageBand »