New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Several questions about GarageBand

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rsherid

rsherid is infamous around these parts
Mac Specs: 13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.

I just watched two different videos on two different sites where the sound was echoed coming out of my MacBook speakers. By echo, I mean imagine adding an echo effect in GarageBand. Is this some sort of weird setting I set off?
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

I tried using a little mic plugged into the jack nearst the headphone jack and it's not working. Is that not a mic port?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

You probably need an amplified mic. What application are you using to record from your present mic?
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
You probably need an amplified mic. What application are you using to record from your present mic?
GarageBand
QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

I'm trying to keep track of all my tracks in GarageBand, but I can't seem to rename them anything other than the default "No Effects"
QUOTE Thanks
Maccy

Maccy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 13" MacBook

Double/triple click where it says No Effects, you should get a text edit box appear

QUOTE Thanks
Maccy

You need to make sure that monitoring is ticked in order to hear it back too.

QUOTE Thanks
wilb

wilb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook 2GB RAM OS X v10.5.5

macbooks have internal mics as well. make sure you change your input from internal to line.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

That's a line-in port. Basically that means it'll only record signals at the level they come in at - it won't amplify them in any way. You'll either need to connect your mic to an external amplifier or buy a USB or Firewire audio interface with a built-in preamp.
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
That's a line-in port. Basically that means it'll only record signals at the level they come in at - it won't amplify them in any way. You'll either need to connect your mic to an external amplifier or buy a USB or Firewire audio interface with a built-in preamp.
Yeah I plugged the guitar into that and it recorded the guitar to GarageBand.

Just something to chew on if you ever want to connect a bass guitar or guitar to your MB. Make sure you get the right cables though. A standard amp cable won't do Radioshack should have some things to do that.

QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Let's say you have 3 components to a chorus: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and vocal. You want these 3 components to be exactly the same during all the song's choruses. How can I combine these 3 components into one whole track? Currently I have to copy and paste each track and line them up for each chorus. I'd prefer, and it makes much more sense, to combine them into one whole track instead of a bunch of little ones that I have to mess with for each chorus section.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
Let's say you have 3 components to a chorus: rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and vocal. You want these 3 components to be exactly the same during all the song's choruses. How can I combine these 3 components into one whole track?
You would need to export them as a separate file, (for sake of example, let's say AIFF) and then insert that AIFF in the Master Project where applicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsherid View Post
Currently I have to copy and paste each track and line them up for each chorus.
On the contrary, I find that it is smarter to do this. Keeping your Master tracks separated allows you more control over them.
When you cobble them together into one track, you lose practically all of your editing ability for future recordings or mixes that would use the same tracks.
Copying each track/region is the preferred method, and while it can be tedious at times, makes the most sense.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

If that's the preferred method, what's the best way to do it? I'm doing it by eye, but it seems like there should be a way to hone in on the minutes/seconds between each track.
QUOTE Thanks
Maccy

If you look at the transport area, click either the down/up arrow until you're showing minutes and seconds. Then you can zoom in and drag the file to wherever you please.

QUOTE Thanks
rsherid

Thanks. What about fading in a track? I know you can Fade Out from the menu, but I can't seem to figure out fade in.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Textcast | Logic Express Help »