New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

External (Line-in) Mic Doesn't Work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

I've plugged in an external mic to the line-in and it does not work. The sound bar in system preferences shows no movement when I talk into the mic. Here's what I've already tried:

- The mic works, I've used it many times in my PC
- The mic is, in fact, in the line-in, not the output
- I've tried installing "line-in 2"--it didn't work
- I've switched the input in System Preferences
- I've gone to the MIDI Utility and upped the mic level there, no results
- I've used garage band to switch the input to the mic

I'm completely out of ideas and I've tried everything I found on the subject in this forum and nothing is working. Any ideas?

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

The line in jack is just that: line level input. Mics are not line level, they need to be amplified up to line level to work. I suggest getting an iMic from Griffin or an USB mic setup.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
formerpcgirl

formerpcgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
The line in jack is just that: line level input. Mics are not line level, they need to be amplified up to line level to work. I suggest getting an iMic from Griffin or an USB mic setup.
Ok, so this means the ONLY headset that a Mac user will find compatible for both features (headphone/microphone) will always be a USB headset? Never a stereo headset? (If I use the wrong names, please bear with me. I'm not very tech savvy or tech terms knowledgeable)

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

You can use something like this: Griffin Technology: iMic
Or get a USB headset.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
QDaMan

QDaMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Really, even just for the ho-hum Labtec mic I have? It's not a studio mic or anything, it worked in my PC. I'm guessing PC inputs through sound cards are not line level?

The Mind of Q
^ Click the MUSIC tab if you like Hip-Hop!
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

If it's marked "Mic" on the PC input, it's probably an amplified input just for mics, built-in. Mac's have a line level input and mics don't have enough voltage to drive the circuitry.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DJ Advise Needed | Propellerhead Reason 3.0 »