New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

New Mac user for home recording...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HigherThanAMile

HigherThanAMile is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.1 Gig Processor, 2 MB Ram, 160 HD, 120 Ext HD

Hi all, just enrolled here, looks like a great site for knowledge about macs

I have just purchased a Mac book 4.1, and ext HD for home recording. I'm on the verge of buying a Presonus Firebox to go with it.

When I begin production, am I correct in running the software from the internal HD, but writing to the ext HD?

Is there something I must do to ensure this happens?

Is there a better solution that would allow me to get the most from the macbooks processor?

Thanks in advance!!

HTAM
QUOTE Thanks
HigherThanAMile

Hmm....perhaps I should make it known that I am no stranger to engineering in the studio or at home. Up until a few months ago, I have been working with Sonar 5 to track, and SoundForge to master.

Now that I have this MacBook with the abilities it's capable of, I'm just looking to source some information from anyone with a deeper backround with Macs and how they function in this scenario.

Anyone?

ANYONE?

Grazi.

HTAM
QUOTE Thanks
fenderbender121

fenderbender121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express

Let me see if I can give you some guidance. I have a MacBook Pro and work in the pro audio industry.

Are you just doing stuff for yourself at home? Or are you looking to be more serious? The software/hardware you use has a lot to do with what you are trying to do. The software and hardware you have listed is good if you're doing your own thing, but if you want to be more serious, you'll need to make some upgrades, and it requires a decent amount of spending.

As far as the internal/external HD situation goes. Install the software on your internal HD. You can record directly to an external HD, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it is a FireWire 400/800. Recording directly to a USB HD isn't the greatest, but again, it depends on what scale you are working at. Small scale it's fine, large scale it is not.

Simply go to the preferences and there should be something about where to save to. Where that is depends on the software. I usually record onto my internal, and then transfer to my external when I'm done.

Hope this all helps. If you need some tips on what to get if you want to upgrade software/hardware let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
HigherThanAMile

I am tracking for a number of different reasons, for myself, to create backround tracks for open stages I play, and possibly for submission to TAXI.

I have a Presonus Firebox to work with for an interface as well.

The EXT HD is USB. Only have one FW input to work with.

Do you recommend increasing RAM to 4

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

HTAM
QUOTE Thanks
fenderbender121

fenderbender121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express

Extra ram never hurts, but it's not really necessary unless you'll be running a lot of plug-ins and tracks simultaneously (basically a lot of processing power). I have 2GB of ram and it runs fine. Since your external HD is USB, I would record directly onto your internal HD, then do a File, Save As, and save the session (and all files) onto your external HD. Then transfer it back when you want to work on it. USB only allows for a single data stream, making it a pain to work with audio.
QUOTE Thanks
pronkie5

pronkie5 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Also from the industry and working with both a powerbook G4 and a new 8-core macpro: you can use USB 2.0 with the same confidence as you would firewire 400. So hook up the firebox to the 400 port and write to the USB disk. No problem. I have tracked more than 20 tracks simultanious from Protools HD (24 bit 96 Khz) to a USB 2.0 disc. No problems.
QUOTE Thanks
HigherThanAMile

Fenderbender and Pronkie....
Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
My wife, our daughter 'Little Wing' and I have just moved from Denver to Fort Collins, so I have had little time to think about, let alone dive into anything recently.

The Presonus Firebox came with Cubase LE, and maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious, but I don't find it very friendly compared to Sonar or even Garageband 8.

I see that Steinberg offers little or no support regarding LE, so my question is, would any time and effort on my part be worth spending on it, if I find I can achieve the results I seek with GB 8? Y'know, what advantages or benefits would there be in either of your opinions?

Again, Grazi.....

HTAM
QUOTE Thanks
minigurl

minigurl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ

I've been a GB user for a while now, and I found it to be a well rounded program. There are certainly some limitations, but I found it to be very user friendly and easy to use. Haven't personally used Cubase, but have heard a few good things about it. Personally, I'd save the hard-drive space for my music projects and stick with GB.
QUOTE Thanks
birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

I'm thinking about getting the Presonus Firebox, how do you like it so far? It was either that or the Motu 8pre.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to hook up Logitech z-2300 to macbook pro | Youtube Activity for Safari »