New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

iTunes 8 Albums

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RobW

RobW is on a distinguished road

When updating to version 8, iTunes split some of my albums up, so that I have a separate album for each track. It happened mostly on soundtracks, but it happened on others as well, so I don't really see a pattern. My question is, can I somehow combine the albums so that there is only one album instead of 12 - sort of like combining events in iPhoto?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Use the Album Artists tag

Also useful when you have ablums with band feat. another person

You can keep any individual artist info in artist but the ablum artist tag was added to do exactly what you are after
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

This happened to me too, along with some other quirks. The way to get around it, is to change the 'album artist' to one person and select the sort by this category. If it's a compilation, call the album artist 'Various Artists'.

That way, the actual track artist is maintained, but the album only appears once. I had a huge compilation album (Electronic Collection) I purchased from iTunes, and my CoverFlow on my iPod showed it as about 45 albums - it took my more than an hour to clean it up.

For some reason, iTunes 8 has messed a lot of things up. A lot of my album art vanished too, even from purchased tracks.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
RobW

RobW is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips -- it worked.
QUOTE Thanks
thetruth

thetruth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Blackbook, 4GB memory, 250GB HD

Is there a way to get the album art work for the albums in my iTunes?

Loving OSX!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cceverett

cceverett is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem. I got the various artist figured out for the Album Artists. What I need now is to know how to sort by Song Artist. When I choose Artist at the top of my Grid View, It uses "Various" as the artist. How can I make this sort by the Song Artist?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alesis D5 with Garageband | Recording through the built in mic question!?!?! »