New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Speakers and Monitor for macbook with Cubase?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikey.b@gmx.com

mikey.b@gmx.com is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G

Hi, I am looking to buy some speakers for use with my macbook whilst using Cubase. There are a lot that I have seen, and not sure what is best. I am not looking to spend 100's of pounds on them, but I am not sure what is best because I don't really know what to look for apart from the amount of watts. I have looked at these which seen a good price, and have a lot of good reviews, but more for listening to music. Also the Altec Lansing MX5021, but i have seen that they don't have magnetic shielding and I'm not sure if I can get them far enough away from my computer and external HD.

The other thing that i was wondering is can they be plugged straight into my Macbook, without an amplifier?

I am also thinking about getting a monitor for use at home, as a 13.3" screen is fine for normal use, but is quite small when using Cubase or other DAW's. I really don't have a clue about monitors or how to connect/set them up, so any help/suggestions about things to consider will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

Greyspot Design is on a distinguished road

yes you can plug them into you macbook without the need for an amplifier.

BUT if you dont mind spending a lil extra, get a quality set of bookshelf speakers like these or these and buy a T-Amp.

then you can buy a 10" Dayton Sub. it goes right in line with what youd have above, no need to buy anything extra.

this will get you a sound stage 10x better than any computer speaker set youll buy without spending $500+.
QUOTE Thanks
mikey.b@gmx.com

Mac Specs: MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspot Design View Post
yes you can plug them into you macbook without the need for an amplifier.

BUT if you dont mind spending a lil extra, get a quality set of bookshelf speakers like these or these and buy a T-Amp.

then you can buy a 10" Dayton Sub. it goes right in line with what youd have above, no need to buy anything extra.

this will get you a sound stage 10x better than any computer speaker set youll buy without spending $500+.
Thanks! That looks a much better solution! I will look into getting a set up like that.

Anyone know anything about monitors?

Cheers

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

all you should need to buy is a mini-dv to vga or dvi to connect another monitor to your macbook. pretty much any respectively sized widescreen monitor will work up to 1920 x 1200 pixels in size. now with a monitor that size your video will run slower because that is alot of pixels for your video card to push. it may or may not be noticeable.

post up a few monitors your looking at and ill help you along.
QUOTE Thanks
mikey.b@gmx.com

ok thanks!

I was looking at the Samsung SyncMaster 225BW but recently I saw this Acer monitor, and I'm wandering if it is any good, because it is so cheap. I'm also wondering the same thing about this Samsung monitor. All 3 are 22". Can't see me needing anything bigger than that, and could probably make do with smaller.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
m_shanak

m_shanak is on a distinguished road

thanks alll

I Bileve In You
kharas.net
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

samsung. the end. they make amazing monitors. of the 2 samsung you posted id go with the second. itll fit your needs and more.
QUOTE Thanks
mikey.b@gmx.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyspot Design View Post
samsung. the end. they make amazing monitors. of the 2 samsung you posted id go with the second. itll fit your needs and more.
Thanks very much for all your help Greyspot.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SPDIF out for Leopard, which DVD player? | Connect Itunes to network drive »