New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Garage Band, Need Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pippo90

pippo90 is on a distinguished road

So I have a Korg TR-63 and I have the USB cable for it that hooks up to the computer and keyboard. I can choose MIDI settings on the keyboard so that I can use it as a controler for the Garage Band instruments

now the problem I have, is that I can't seem to record the keyboard sounds into garage band. it only records as a controler.

is there a setting i can change so that i can record what comes out of my keyboard?

i dont really know the technical terms so this might seem confusing, but bottom line, i dont want it as a controler, i just want garage band to record what the keyboard has.

anyone know how? i think i've tried everything
QUOTE Thanks
analogscrewtape

analogscrewtape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook intel

I think I understand what you're asking...you want to record via the sound banks that are stored in the KORG, rather than using the KORG as a MIDI interface.

Here's your problem -- you can't do that via MIDI. MIDI language isn't audio, it's a series of digital signals that "trigger" events in a particular program (like Garageband or whatever).

I have a Casio Privia and the only way I record from the sound banks in that thing is to go the old fashioned way: through the headphone jack and into the audio port (actually there are also audio outs on the keyb, but why convert a stereo signal to mono just to convert it back to stereo again?).

What other outs do you have on that KORG?...they're the only way
QUOTE Thanks
pippo90

the outs on the Korg include....

L/Mono
R
Individual 1
Individual 2

and then the MIDI

as well as a USB

and thats exactly what I'm trying to do, I have a Macbook Pro, is there an input jack on here?
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Moved to a more suitable forum.
QUOTE Thanks
analogscrewtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo90 View Post
the outs on the Korg include....

L/Mono
R
Individual 1
Individual 2

and then the MIDI

as well as a USB

and thats exactly what I'm trying to do, I have a Macbook Pro, is there an input jack on here?
Sounds like you want to go out of mono (L) unless you've got the appropriate cables to merge the L & R signals (I'm not sure what individual 1 and 2 are). Are these 1/4'' jacks on the Korg, or RCA, or what?

Macbook Pro SHOULD have an audio in. It's the one that ISN'T a headphone jack

On the schematic linked below the audio in is right after the usb ports

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/30...2/303722_1.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
pippo90

ya, so i bought a jack to jack 3.5mm cable to connect the Korg to the Mac Input yet on garabe band...no sound or signal dot.

I've tried changeing the Input source to Stereo and Mono but it's still a no go.
QUOTE Thanks
analogscrewtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippo90 View Post
ya, so i bought a jack to jack 3.5mm cable to connect the Korg to the Mac Input yet on garabe band...no sound or signal dot.

I've tried changeing the Input source to Stereo and Mono but it's still a no go.
a few things to try:

make sure in your garageband prefs that the sound input selected is the audio port, and not the built-in mic. It doesn't switch them over automatically. Also check that you've created a "real instrument" track in garageband and not a digital MIDI instrument track. There's also a toggle for "monitor," make sure that's on.

Also check in your KORG settings that it's sending a signal through the 1/4'' jacks. Some keyboards don't do this automatically, believe it or not.

And, finally, make sure you're not plugged into your comp's headphone jack. Not meant to be insulting, I've accidentally plugged the wrong hole many MANY times...

PS -- what cord did you buy? It's a 1/4'' mono to 3.5mm stereo, right?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Studio Monitors Near Computer Screen | convert AVI audio to edited MP3? »