New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Music Production Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JahAiden67

JahAiden67 is on a distinguished road

anyone else know of a software thats compatible with mac, besides garageband?
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

I am a big proponent of Ableton Live. Besides that there are a ton of music programs that are compatible with Macs.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
Benedict

Benedict is on a distinguished road

I use Live too

Other Pro DAWS you could look at are Cubase, Protools & Logic.
QUOTE Thanks
JahAiden67

JahAiden67 is on a distinguished road

ohh alrite thanks, i should check those programs out then. will it work with my MIDI keyboard though? i have an m-audio keystation 49, and i was wondering if that's compatible with my keyboard? i've tried Recycle, which for some reason it wasnt compatible with my keyboard. i dont know if its just me or it actually is the keyboard? but yeah, if anyone has an m-audio type keyboard, would someone fill me in? thanks again in advanced.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

If it sends MIDI signals, then Live will work with it.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
pcpage

pcpage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4, 1ghz, 40gb HD, 768mb mem, Tiger

Give Ardour a spin. It's free and open:
http://ardour.org/

Visit my photography at http://jasonpage.zenfolio.com

audiomedia808 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD

Ableton should recognize your MIDI keyboard. I use a m-audio o2 and trigger finger and it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
fenderbender121

fenderbender121 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Airport Express

Pro Tools, Reason, CuBase, Ableton, Logic, and several others all work great on Mac, and they all recognize MIDI. Set up depends on the software, but I know people who use MIDI on all of these programs, and they all work fine. Pretty much any recording software is going to work with MIDI.
QUOTE Thanks
pyxid

pyxid is on a distinguished road

M-audio keyboards work fine with Reason as well as ReCycle. Im using an M-audio oxygen 61 key. It took a little bit of playing with it, the most probable scenario is that you just need to map out what keys on your controller you want to control the various options in recycle. I dont remember the exact place to map controls in recycle off the top of my head, in Reason however, its under Options -> Remote Override Edit Mode -> Additional Remote Overrides.

see if theres an option like that in recycle. its relatively straight forward after that.
QUOTE Thanks
Jack

Jack is on a distinguished road

As far as I know, Logic Pro 8 is suposed to be very good
QUOTE Thanks
tjbackstage

tjbackstage is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)

Use Logic Pro if you're wanting to do professional home recordings. Use ProTools if you're going to a studio(s) and want to be able to work on projects at home. ProTools is cheaper and more compatible if you're doing a lot of pro studio work. But if you're doing all the recording yourself and want the best, Logic Pro all the way! If you don't want to spend $500 and don't need all the features, Logic Studio is $200. Either will recognize MIDI, but Logic will work better for effects and editing with MIDI (especially if it's a MIDI keyboard).

Notebook: aluminum MacBook (2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 32GB partition for Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 running in VMWare Fusion 2)
iPod: 16GB iPod Touch (2nd generation), 8GB iPod Nano (3rd generation)
QUOTE Thanks
3amRaps

3amRaps is on a distinguished road

I bought a Digidesign 002 Rack about two years ago and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. If your serious about music it is really the way to go. Pro Tools is undoubtedly the industry standard so It all depends on your budget. If you want quality Digidesign stuff will last. You can usually find a pretty decent deal on Ebay. If you can spend $1000 and you spend it right you should be up and running with the pros in no time. Hope my input could be of some service!!
QUOTE Thanks
Jmurr187

Jmurr187 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3amRaps View Post
I bought a Digidesign 002 Rack about two years ago and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.
The 002's were the best. Keep your hands on that thing!
...Although I heard the next 003's are gunna have 4 more mic pre's
QUOTE Thanks
Christianhowes

Christianhowes is on a distinguished road

I am trying to get into film/tv music and have been using garageband but I have heard that Logic has the Garageband jampacks as it's sounds.
QUOTE Thanks
Jhernandez860

Jhernandez860 is on a distinguished road

right now i am going to school for music production, i have used garage band, live, reason, pro tools, and logic 8, and by far my favorite is Logic 8.. def. worth the money
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do i hookup this subwoofer | Syncing problems »