New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Equipment required to record guitar on macbook with garage band

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nightwishsim

nightwishsim is on a distinguished road

Hey !

I bought a macbook specially to record my guitar on garage band ( i'm playing in a heavy metal band ) and i was wondering what was ALL the equipment i need to do so. i'm thinking about buying one of those fast track things on the apple store but since it's still expensive , i am waiting about informations about Preamps ( which i read about ) like do i need one if i get those fast track inputs or things like that.

Thanks alot
NWS
QUOTE Thanks
soundshaper

soundshaper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652

The M-Audio Fasttrack Pro is probably sufficient for your needs. Keep in mind that it is actually extremely inexpensive for what it can do. Some audio interfaces can cost more than the computer!

You can record electric guitar in 3 ways.

1. The first is by plugging the guitar directly into the audio interface via an Instrument Input. This is different than a mic input or line input, as electric guitars and basses output a high impedance signal. The Fasttrack has this type of input. Keep in mind though, this method requires you to use software effects to get the sound you want.

2. You can also use a Line Input as long as the signal has been amplified first. You would use the Line Out on your guitar amplifier's head unit for this. The benefit of this is that you can get the sound of your amp, sounds that you are familiar with already. You can also do this in an apartment late at night using headphones without sending signal to the amp's speaker.

3. Lastly, you can put a microphone in front of the speaker of your guitar amplifier. The FastTrack (and many other interfaces) has a Mic Input with a preamp like you mentioned. If you have a nice amp and speaker cabinet for your guitar, then this is the method I would recommend. It also allows you to experiment with mic selection and placement, and will ultimately sound the most natural. Buy a Shure SM57 (less than $100) and it'll sound awesome. That mic will last a lifetime too (also great for vocals, drums, etc).

You can also combine methods 1 and 3 and get amazing sounds by blending them together and using panning, effects, etc. Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
supremeguitar

supremeguitar is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

Instead of typing as essay out on here, I'll send you in the direction on two useful sites I found when I was looking to record my guitar at home. They are tweaksguide and Uncleslinky Home Recording - How To Record Guitar At Home - both are jammed pack full of ways to record your guitar aswell as any tips that might make it easier for you

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Downloadable Amp Models for GB '09? | iTunes movies and TV shows on external music on internal »