New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Garageband: Triggering Samples Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebp

ebp is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

This question requires that one knows how to create a new software instrument in Garageband, and therefore know how to input samples into GB's keyboard. If you don't go here and read this first:

http://www.thegaragedoor.com/tutorials/building.html

This is an amazing feature of GB3, and works great for adding your own samples to a musical production. But, here is my problem:

I assigned a sample of a man yelling "HI-YAH" (as you would yell if you were karate chopping a stack of bricks) that lasts a little over a second to the "f" key of the GB musical typing keyboard. So, like the tutorial explained, now when I press "f" I hear "HI-YAH," BUT I can only hear the sample in its entirety if I hold down the "f" key. The other option is to hold down the "tab" key which executes the sustain function, but is ultimately no help because I want to avoid having to hold down any key in order for the full sample to play. I just want to tap "f" and have the sample play fully (and start over if I press "f" again, interrupting the sample).

My overall goal is to use some drum pads to control sampled sounds, but longer samples will not play fully with one tap of a drum stick. See?

Any ideas?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
soundshaper

soundshaper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652

The Keyboard/Drum Sampler function in GB sucks. I would recommend downloading a different sampler plug-in. I don't use GB, and use kinda expensive plug-ins, but I'm sure there's a free on out there somewhere which gives you the option.

Have you tried just drawing in the sustain into the MIDI note editor on the instrument track? Using a real MIDI keyboard would probably work, too.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

GB is deliberately crippled, because the functions you're looking for are available in Logic Express or Logic Studio. Ultrabeat is probably one of the best drum-machines/samplers you can have, immensly powerful (if you know what you're doing), and flexible. Also Logic Express now includes the full EXS24 Sampler, which is a very solid performer.

If you're a student, get Logic Studio for $150, or if not, Logic Express for $199 is still a huge bargin.

Unfortunately, GB does not allow AU plugins, again this is deliberate.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
AHQK

AHQK is on a distinguished road

I actually recently ran into this problem as well.
Quite easy to fix.

Go to the details section for your instrument and click on the little pencil thing
on Instrument Generator. Set your release to slow and it should work fine!!
Hope this helped!
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have this problem. It's very annoying.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Record Audio Tapes to CDs? | Album of the Month? »