New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

MacBook - I Need Garage Band Help Pluggin In Guitar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GEARZHEAD

GEARZHEAD is on a distinguished road

OK HEY GUYS I'M NEW TO THE MAC WORLD. I'VE SEEN OTHER POSTS ON MY SUBJECT HERE BUT STILL AM CONFUSED.

I HAVE A MACBOOK OS W/ GARAGE BAND. I WANNA PLUG MY GUITAR IN I KNOW I CAN DO IT VIA USB OR FIREWIRE. I'M THINKING I WANNA GO FIREWIRE DUE TO TRANSFER SPEED. HOWEVER ALL THE CABLES I SEE ON EBAY ARE 6- 4 PIN. ON THE SIDE OF MY MAC I DON'T SEE ANY FIREWIRE INPUTS. I HAVE A REGULAR AUDIO OUT HEADPHONES JACK AND THERES ABOUT 2 OR 3 OTHER FEMALE INPUTS BUT ITS STUFF I'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE. DO I NEED SOME KINDA ADAPTER? LIKE WOULD A 6-4 PIN WORK WITH ADAPTER? AND WHAT ARE THESE INTERFACES AND WHERE CAN I RESEARCH? IS THE INTERFACE LIKE A PREAMP THAT PLUGS INTO MY MAC? I WOULD BE OPEN TO USB. IT SOUNDS A LIL MORE AMATUER WHICH I DEFINITLEY AM BUT WILL IT TRANSFER EVERYTHING I'M PLAYIN ON GUITAR?

IF THERES ANY ILLUSTRATIONS OR EXPLICIT DIRECTION I WOULD APPRECIATE IT GREATLY. THANKS VERY MUCH . LOVE THE MAC THO. WANNA GET SOME MUSIC RECORDED! THANKS AGAIN
QUOTE Thanks
jvetter18

jvetter18 is on a distinguished road

First thing you need to do is push the Caps Lock button...thanks.

Second. You don't even need to plug your guitar unless it's electric. If acoustic, you can use the isight mic as an input.

If electric, all you need is and adapter for your guitar chord that converts to a stereo input jack (headphone size). These are like 3 bucks @ Guitar Center. Ask the Pro Audio guys there.

if you want usb interface or firewire interface, and want a really high end recording device - i would recommend Apogee.

Good luck.

Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 1 Jiggabite of Awesome

They've done research, 80% of the time it works all of the time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MP3/WAV Editor? | creative zen nano plus not recognised »