New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

I would like to accomplish this sound. help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lilrush

lilrush is on a distinguished road

Basically I am using a Shure Sm-58 Mic and garageband and would like to know if there is anyway to replicate, as close as possible (doesnt have to be perfect) .....the effects from the song "Private Dancer" By Danny Fernandes.

Link Below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP2HfyobMhI
QUOTE Thanks
jeromejwatson

jeromejwatson is on a distinguished road

You can try putting the 'correct pitch' up as far as it will go and tell it to keep to the song's key, try making that key different to what you're actually singing, should get something similar.

The effect they're using is a vocoder, which is also used for vocal pitch correction (well, it was, back in the day.) Most pitch correction software and hardware vocoders will allow you to do that.
QUOTE Thanks
lilrush

thats some interesting feedback, thank you, i will give it a try.

Does anyone else have ideas?
and as for a vocoder software, are there any good ones that can just be downloaded or are easily accessible via torrent?
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisR22

ChrisR22 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2gb Ram Running Leapord OS

I've been recording bands for around 4 years now and while GarageBand is definitely a very, very powerful recording tool, you are going to have to get a program with a little more "umph".

I just switched to Mac OS so im not sure, but if you could get a program called adobe audition to run on a mac, which im sure is possible, you can replicate what you hear on the singers voice.

What the filter is, is essentially a pitch correcter, only with more gain. To be exact, it's called AutoTune, a developer called VST developed a version for audition which is what we use when we personally record bands (my friend and I)

as for using GarageBand, the previous poster has the right idea, pitch correcter and staying on the specific key is your best bet. you could try to turn the gain up on your vocal track, too.

MacBook 1.80GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
iPod Touch 8GB
That's enough for me!
QUOTE Thanks
lilrush

I am pretty sure adobe audition can be acquired for mac, but i heard it's complicated, true? loll
and as for autotune, isnt that costly?
QUOTE Thanks
jeromejwatson

jeromejwatson is on a distinguished road

Melodyne is a better plug in than AutoTune in my opinion, but they're both expensive. I think try the Garageband thing first.

I used to use Audition on my PC, it is pretty complicated, but it's great for modifying stuff on a really small scale.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which iMac? | new guy needs help »