New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

iTunes wireless, what do I need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CanadianMac

CanadianMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory

Hello all! I'm relatively new to my iMac and Macs in general (and loving it) and even newer to wi-fi. Basically, I'd like to be able to access my computers iTunes and playlists on the back deck of my house and I'm not quite sure what I'd need. I only want to mount two speakers outside (wired or wireless) and then have some sort of control that can access my Mac and it's iTunes wirelessly. I have a D-Link DIR-615 router that works great with my Mac and Xbox 360 (that was another challenge that worked out great) and would like something that can connect to the network. I'm really lost and would appreciate any help. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

You need Airport Express.

I recently bought one for just this reason you can read about it in my blog

Dead simple to set-up and works like a dream. If you have an iTouch or iPhone you can also use it like a remote and control your iTunes library whilst sitting on the back deck. Sadly I don't have either of those
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Yup, the Airport express will plug into powered speakers or a stereo system, and stream the music from iTunes on your iMac over the network. You still control it on the Mac, but if you have an iPhone or an Apple Remote you can do that from some distance away .
QUOTE Thanks
CanadianMac

CanadianMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory

Thank you very much for the info, I guess I'll be investing in a iPod touch sooner than I thought (iPhone costs too much in Canada). I can't wait to try it out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac compatible digital voice recorders? | Stereo Recorder(i think??) »