New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Writing Music On GarageBand...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

p0ssum man

p0ssum man is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS 512MB

Hi, i've recently made the switch to macs (and i gotta say im lovin it!!), but one thing that's got me stumped is GarageBand...Is it possible for me to write in music on the track without having to actually play it with my keyboard first? Its just that my Tascam US-122 doesnt seem to want to work with my iMac so i cant use any of my midi inputs and i'd prefer to write music in by hand rather than use the inbuilt 'musical typing'...i seem to have searched everywhere for how to do this but still no luck...can anyone shed some light on the situation (a few tips on how to get my US-122 working with my mac would be appreciated also!!)

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
p0ssum man

someone must be able to offer some advice...
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well if you can read sheet music there is a way I think.

In GB near the bottom there is a few buttons. Click on the scissors like icon. And a bar like representation will be there for your music. But if you click on the music note icon at the bottom left of the screen, then there's a change. The bottom of the screen will change to sheet music and the notes of your music will appear. And you can edit and add/remove them to your hearts content. This will only work for software instruments though I think. I'm not so sure.

But I've only edit already made music through loops, software instruments etc. I've not created music from scratch this way. It should work though. But it'd take ages.
QUOTE Thanks
p0ssum man

but is there a way to actually write music in there, without having to touch a keyboard, the onscreen keyboard or apple loops
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I've been fiddling around with Garageband now and I don't think what you're after can be done here. Cause I want to do the same thing really. Maybe Logic Pro or some other program can. Unfortunate I know.
QUOTE Thanks
nm7856

nm7856 is on a distinguished road

Hey man, i think this can be done. I know that if you hold command after you record something you can just put music notes wherever. So here is the thing you do. Record for however you want and then if you really want to you can open up the staff(scissors then music note) and hold command and click whereever. You can edit the type of notes(quarter, half, ect.) anyways. Hope thing helps.
Good Luck!
Nick
QUOTE Thanks
p0ssum man

Ah Ha!!!.....Cheers NM7856, thats exactly what i was looking for, lots of nice rep for you!
QUOTE Thanks
mochamadness

mochamadness is on a distinguished road

I use a tascam 122 with my macbook on os 10.5.4 Check the tascam site to make sure you have the current driver for your machine. I downloaded the driver today. you will need to restart after you download. Next, in garageband preferences go to midi and choose the tascam for your input. You must have your computer plugged in to power if you are using a laptop.
Not sure if this helps but i can step you through recording as well.
QUOTE Thanks
o8strider8o

o8strider8o is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook l Ipod nano 4gb l ipod classic 80 gb

is there a way to print the music that you write?
QUOTE Thanks
www.Fntoy.com

www.Fntoy.com is on a distinguished road

Writing Music On GarageBand... <<< Bad Topic Name

support @ www.fntoy.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new macbook pro + harmon kardon soundsticks = :( | Mac Voices »