New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Can't Edit in iTunes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MBPDave

MBPDave is on a distinguished road

I took some old MP3 data CD's that i had with a bunch of songs stored on them (made with a windows PC) and took some of the songs and dragged them onto my new MacBook Pro

Now, when i open the songs in iTunes all is good, when i try to edit in iTunes, it's a diffrerent story

The songs appear edited, all the changed made look done, but when i close the songs out and then bring it back in all the previous changes made are no longer made, and the songs appears as it originally did when it was on the CD

Any reason why this happened? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I wouldn't think Windows would have anything to do with it, since MP3 is universal.

Now did you add the songs to your hard drive? Because if you didn't, changing the songs (assuming that by 'edited' you mean changing the name, album, etc) will only occur the time they are open in iTunes, not on the CD.

If you added the songs to your hard drive, then opened them in iTunes, editing them would work.

But if they are on your hard drive, well I'll have to figure that one out.

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
I wouldn't think Windows would have anything to do with it, since MP3 is universal.

Now did you add the songs to your hard drive? Because if you didn't, changing the songs (assuming that by 'edited' you mean changing the name, album, etc) will only occur the time they are open in iTunes, not on the CD.

If you added the songs to your hard drive, then opened them in iTunes, editing them would work.

But if they are on your hard drive, well I'll have to figure that one out.
No they are not on my HD

actually i tested all my songs, and none will stay edited when edited from iTunes

example, i added - song 2 by blur - i edited it as song two - cleared the song from the library then added it to the libraray again and it became song 2 all over again, none of the changed i made stayed...
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Try adding them to your hard drive before you edit them. That should probably do the trick.

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Opps, im sorry - yes they are on my HD (i have been having problems with my external HD all week so im still thinking about THAT HD)

Yes they are on my HD
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Okay. Go to the folder those song are in, right click, then click "Get Info"

see if those files are "Read and Write". you can locate that at the bottom of the Get Info screen.

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Okay

Yes, they are read and write
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

are you running the most recent version of iTunes? (the current version is 7.6.2)

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Yep, 7.6.2

i edited it using mediarage... and it worked and stayed edited (but my mediarage is a free version for only 7 days... then i have to pay)

This is weird...
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Well i searched around and I found this. It should help you, it sounds like the same problem you're having. Plus Baggss is a lot more helpful

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Quote:
Well i searched around and I found this. It should help you, it sounds like the same problem you're having. Plus Baggss is a lot more helpful
lol, thanks - but, that's the same thread i got the idea to use mediarage

i dunno why i can't edit these files, i must say it's quite frustrating

i just got a MBP, my last apple was a performa back in the early 90's so it's been a while since i have been on an apple, and i have to say, it's been quite a frustrating ride thus far, i hope it gets easier
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

What about converting the ID3 tags? Right click the song, and it should say for example "Convert to AAC" or something like that.

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Quote:
What about converting the ID3 tags? Right click the song, and it should say for example "Convert to AAC" or something like that.
Just tried it... no go

actually after i converted the tages and edited them, when i reopened the song, it was no longer converted

btw: these songs are not locked
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

If the song name is the same in iTunes as the song in Finder, try changing the file's name in Finder, then re-open iTunes and see if that works.

If not, I really don't know how to diagnose your problem any further.

Maybe someone of more experience could help you tomorrow.

(well.. later today really lol)

QUOTE Thanks
MBPDave

Quote:
If the song name is the same in iTunes as the song in Finder, try changing the file's name in Finder, then re-open iTunes and see if that works.

If not, I really don't know how to diagnose your problem any further.

Maybe someone of more experience could help you tomorrow.m

(well.. later today really lol)
Tired that as well

Yea, i'm just as confused - it really doesn't make any sense, but regardless, i do appreciate the help, thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mackie Onyx 1640/Mac Pro leopard 10.5 | mp3 different bitrate- total reburn or not? »