New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

MacBook Pro - Can Macs play 5.1 surround sound??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've read a post or two on here that say you need an external sound card or something in order to get 5.1 sound out of a Mac. I've also read on other forums, including one that's strictly about home theater with a subforum for Macs as HTPCs, that Macs can play surround sound on their own if you connect an optical cable using DVD Player, Quicktime, or VLC/Perian. You just need to make some settings adjustments to get it working.

So which is it?? I'm about to buy a DVI to HDMI and mini-toslink to toslink cables to connect my MBP (and soon a Mac Mini) and want to know if I'll get 5.1 out of my DVDs and other videos through my computer.

Thanks.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Yes using the optical out (toslink) you will get 5.1. Make sure to go into Audio Midi Setup in utilities and make sure it shows that you have 5 channel output listed.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Thanks.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Nor Cal Nomad

Nor Cal Nomad is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz 4GB, 19in Viewsonic LCD, Mac Alum keyboard, Razer Diamondback 3G

so would something like this work for the MBP? http://www.amazon.com/QVS-10-Foot-To.../dp/B00007E87A
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recording with factory Macbook pro soundcard | Torrents for Mac »