New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Controling iTunes from your desktop...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James-

James- will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

is there any thing like tune bar were u can control your itunes songs from your desk top e.g. change song with out opening the itunes window?
sorry this may be very simple.

"What you know you know, what you don't ant worth knowing!" Me
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

You have a widget for your dashboard. It's called iTunes. open your dashboard, and click the "plus" sign at the bottom left corner. Browse through the "add widget" bar (there should be two pages) and find a widget called iTunes. when you select it, an iTunes control panel will appear, and you can drag it around wherever you like. iTunes has to be open, of course, to use it.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You need ByteController. It puts this in your menu bar:

It also gives you the option to use keyboard shortcuts. I have mine set to skip tracks and play/pause with Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. Very convenient not to have to open up iTunes just to skip a song or stop the music.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
katielb

katielb is on a distinguished road

You could also just press the green "+" button at the top left of the iTunes screen to make a smaller control space for the music playing. You might be interested in CoverSutra as well.
QUOTE Thanks
6strings

6strings is on a distinguished road

ive tried 2 so far.. Synergy is by far the best i think for the looks and usability.

it has a menu bar for prev track/ play-pause /next track
it also has an overlay on the bottom corner to display the current album art and track info. it fades away and fades back in when the track changes.
you get to set hot keys for a lot of controls including what i like the most, controlling the itunes volume control and not just the computers vol. you can also view the overlay and hide it with a hot key and also show and hide itunes.

downside: you must pay for a full version but you can download a 7-day limitless trial

------

you control: tunes is the controller im using now. great thing about this is that its completely free. you still get the same type of functions as synergy however you dont get the hot keys. you do however can customize the overlay to display any information youd like and in whatever combination and placement.
QUOTE Thanks
marcelop

marcelop is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2,16ghz

Hello!

I'm trying CoverSutra as well and it's very good so far. You shoud have a try.
QUOTE Thanks
Simms

Simms is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD

Why not just use the play/pause, forward, and back buttons on your mac's keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
donwaters

donwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
You need ByteController. It puts this in your menu bar:

It also gives you the option to use keyboard shortcuts. I have mine set to skip tracks and play/pause with Ctrl+Alt+arrow keys. Very convenient not to have to open up iTunes just to skip a song or stop the music.
I need something like this. Thanks for the link... i'm tired of opening iTunes and slowing down other programs any time i want to switch songs.

Don't look directly at the Signature.
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

similar to CoverSutra is "You Control Tunes". It puts a 4-button control bar on your menubar (play/pause, next + previous track and one more to open more options) .... but its best feature is that its free!! similar to Coversutra again is that it also displays the album artwork for a song when it starts playing, so you're never surprised as to whats about to come out of your speakers.lol

http://www.yousoftware.com/tunes/
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms View Post
Why not just use the play/pause, forward, and back buttons on your mac's keyboard?
lol, thats what i was thinking. I used those all the time till i got my Apple Remote

QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuhnool View Post
lol, thats what i was thinking. I used those all the time till i got my Apple Remote
it's only the newer model of macbooks (released february i think) that have those buttons on the keyboard..... and the majority of people on this site, like myself, bought their macbook before that....so no cool itunes buttons unfortunately
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenn77 View Post
it's only the newer model of macbooks (released february i think) that have those buttons on the keyboard..... and the majority of people on this site, like myself, bought their macbook before that....so no cool itunes buttons unfortunately
oh well now i see where software like that becomes useful!

QUOTE Thanks
Applescript Guy

Applescript Guy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | iPod Shuffle | iPhone |

I was thinking just minimize your iTunes and so it right there
to flick songs.
QUOTE Thanks
robghosh

robghosh is on a distinguished road

On the new keyboard they moved the mute, volume up and volume down buttons, which is fine, but with the added track forward, track back taking up f7 and f6, how do I turn those off? I use f7 in Quark to turn on and off guides, but I can't do that now. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Converting FLAC, Need Help | booting video question »