New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

easy way to delete 5 gigs of 'duplicates'?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

60ndown

60ndown is on a distinguished road

short of doing it 1 by 1, is there an easy way to clean up my i tunes?

i have 5 gigs of duplicates

help?
QUOTE Thanks
60ndown

macbook
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

the site doug's apple scripts had loads of scripts for iTunes

one of them is called coral duplicates to playlist - that might get you half way there

There are alaso tons of other scripts in there - so many you could easily get lost
QUOTE Thanks
benkhlee

benkhlee is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" Intel Core Duo 3.06GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

So far, I've not come across anyway to clear up duplicates of songs in iTunes other than to manually go through after selecting the "iTunes>>View>>Show Duplicates".
I would check to ensure it's not different versions of playlist files that are clogging your library up before you go deleting files.
However, I've included the first free program I could find for location and removal of duplicated audio files on your HDD:

MP3, OGG, WMA, and AAC formats are supported.
Reviews have suggested it's a very fast and efficient program despite a "Spartan" appearance of the UI.
http://mac.softpedia.com/progViewOpinions/19-3109,.html

Hope my first post has been of some help
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
short of doing it 1 by 1, is there an easy way to clean up my i tunes? i have 5 gigs of duplicates?
If you know for certain which music files are "duplicates", then go to the iTunes Music folder and Shift-click-hold-drag diagonally across the files and, once highlighted, Command-Delete to send them to Trash. That's the culling method and risks including the files you want to keep.

If your "duplicates" are mixed in amongst the files you wish to retain, then you may have to use the Shift-click method to select them in small(er) groups of files before sending them to Trash.

There's also a software application called Tidy Up which you can obtain from:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17908
QUOTE Thanks
60ndown

thanks all, i found 'dupin' and it was easy and effective, honestly if its a choice between

1.hours/days of work cleaning up manualy

or

2.loseing a couple songs doing it auto

ill take option 2

i got lots of other mac questions, ill be back
QUOTE Thanks
birdhouse360360

birdhouse360360 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB

i have 11gigs of music and they all got duplicated some how. i had to delete them one by one took a few days. mainly did it when i was on the toilet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Producers -- Got beats? Get Heard, Get Paid | Multiple Album covers in iTunes »