New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Surround sound on MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

I want to buy these speakers for some decent surround sound (movies, music, games etc..): Logitech Z-5500.
Is there anything I need beside the speakers? How do I connect those to my MBP (current gen)?

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
joshbrez

joshbrez will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM

I'm presuming that those speakers, like most computer surround speakers, connect using the standard three-plug method (green, orange, black). That being the case, you're going to need a device that can work with those three plugs to get true surround. You can connect them all to your headphone port with a W-splitter if you want, but that method doesn't get you real surround sound.

I recommend a product like this one: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/#

It's an external Firewire sound controller that can interface directly with the surround system. I just got myself one last week ($29 marked down from $99 was a good deal, imho), and hooked it up to my old Creative surround system. Works great!
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

srmorris2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD

I agree with josh but I also read some specs and it did say that it supported 6 channel, stereo 2x and stereo so I am thinking that you can use just the headphone jack also...?

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

So, do I need that Firewave for 'real' surround sound or not?

Another stain on the sidewalk.
QUOTE Thanks
jah

jah will become famous soon enough

the macbook pro has an optical output. run an optical cable from the macbook pro to a Creative decoder ddts-100 box. i have some giga creative speakers.

-where i have dont this hookup with the macbook pro and it sounds ok the controlling macbook software is some what odd. the software does not have any settings or control, still sounds ok

-Creative products can sometimes not have enough reliability to be a worth wile purchase.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with Podcast | DAB/FM Radio Recording on Mac »