New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Mackie Control Universal Pro problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

monkfishbandana

monkfishbandana is on a distinguished road

I am running Cubase 4.0.2 on Mac OS 10.5.3. I am trying to use a Mackie Control Universal Pro control surface with it, but for some reason I am having a few problems:

When I move the faders, they control the Cubase mixer, but then the actual faders themselves reset to infinity. If I touch the faders with my fingers, the Cubase mixer will reset to infinity as well.

None of the transport lights are working, the buttons work, but when I press play for example, the command is sent to Cubase, it plays the song, but the light above the play button on the Mackie does not come on.

The Mackie's on-board timecode display remains at 0 constantly. Assignment number is 0, and the display says "Mackie Control Universal PRO by Mackie Designs, Inc. v3.0.0".

I have updated Cubase to the latest version, my Mac is up to date and Cubase has recognised the Mackie as a USB controller. However the board gives no visual notification that it has performed any of the actions intended. I have tried placing the board in Mackie Control, Logic Control and HUI - and apart from HUI (which I get no software response from at all) I am getting the same results. What could be causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
Scoox

Scoox is on a distinguished road

The Mackie Control Universal (MCU) sends MIDI messages to Cubase, then Cubase sends a MIDI message back to the MCU to acknowledge receipt. If the MCU does not receive the acknowledgement within about 1 second, faders return to their previous position.

In other words, there must be a bidirectional MIDI dialogue between the MCU and Cubase for the MCU to function correctly. That's why the MCU has a MIDI In and a MIDI Out port. From the symptoms you describe, it is obvious that you have not configured the MIDI Out correctly in Cubase, so when Cubase tries to send MIDI messages to your MCU these messages are not getting to your MCU.

Incidentally, I have had lots of issues with the Cubase-MCU combination, including faders not responding during recording and erratic behaviour. Once you get it going, is there any chance you could post about any issues you've had with it (if any)? Thank you very much
QUOTE Thanks
Scoox

Scoox is on a distinguished road

Has anyone managed to get a Mackie Control Universal working reliably with Cubase/Nuendo??????????
QUOTE Thanks
pashmusic

pashmusic is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Im using Mackie Control, with Logic PROBLEM with Automation, when write, then plat back with read the fader is very jitterey.... not thye smooth fade that i applied.,
Change cables, trashed the com.apple.logic.pro.plist file,recalerbrated faders, tried it on another user screen and works fine,m can anyone HELP...
inbox me at info@leepashley.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Garageband issue | How to Write Music in GarageBand »