New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Recording what my Mac plays

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

phoenixblend

phoenixblend is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I would really like an inline sound recorder (I'm not sure I mean 'inline') so I can record what comes out of my speakers and I hope you guys can help.

Basicly what I mean is, record with out using the mic or line out, like many sound recorders do. This came from having a few great tunes on youtube that I wanted to listen to on itunes - "no worries" though I, "I'll just find a sound recorder, play the vid and save the result as an mp3."

Well I can't find anything suitable - Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
STRIKE859

STRIKE859 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5 Dual 2 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Try Audio Hijack Pro. There is a shareware version on versiontracker. It's not free (hence shareware , but you can give it a shot on the trial version. I think after a certain amount of minutes (10 I believe) recording, it creates static. Which then requires you to buy the software.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixblend View Post
I would really like an inline sound recorder (I'm not sure I mean 'inline')
Internal? Audio Hijack does the job very well.

Quote:
so I can record what comes out of my speakers
Taking what you say literally, don't do it that way, you'll get all sorts of interference and extraneous noise.

Quote:
a few great tunes on youtube that I wanted to listen to on itunes
Audio Hijack will, as its name says, 'hijack' your browser, ie. it will tap into whatever you're recording or playing and grab the sound.

However, I record sound by recording from YouTube using Seatubes, saving the .flv file, opening it in Quicktime and then using Hijack to take the sound from that. Once you're registered Hijack, you can save sound files in a variety of sound formats.

Others can tell you of other sound grab applications, eg. Audacity. Try a Google search with 'Record Audio Mac'.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanner31593

Tanner31593 has a spectacular aura about

I started a thread on a VERY similar subject a while ago.
I'd dig it up for you, but i'm too lazy.
It was informative, but I didn't end up doing anything because my PowerMac G4 doesn't have a microphone port.
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

audacity does whatever the PC plays. Doesnt work the same way in Mac? excuse me i am a recent switcher.

“I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own.” - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

I just plug the line out into the line in and record away!

If you use GarageBand to do the recording you can plug in headphones to use as a monitor whilst recording.

I find this a neat way to take just the audio I want from DVDs.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen-Moses View Post
I just plug the line out into the line in and record away!
If you use GarageBand to do the recording you can plug in headphones to use as a monitor whilst recording.
Very neat! But where on your Mac do you find the extra audio out for your headphones. A double adaptor? Or are you playing from and plugged into an external device with your headphones?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Very neat! But where on your Mac do you find the extra audio out for your headphones. A double adaptor? Or are you playing from and plugged into an external device with your headphones?
On my G5 PowerMac there are separate line-out and headphone sockets, some other Mac variants probably don't have this facility.

The spdif in/out can also be used but not all models have them so maybe a double adaptor would be required. (they are pretty cheap to buy and there should be enough power from the headphone socket to drive a pair of ipod style headphones and feed the line in at the same time, although I haven't actually tried it myself.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
vinniw

vinniw is on a distinguished road

Take a look at Wiretap Studio Pro. That should do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« itunes display | What Audio Interface? »