New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

please help- iTunes not finding music!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mark.spiro

mark.spiro is on a distinguished road

basically I tried to move my music onto my external HD. So it didnt work, and I changed the location on my music file in itunes to what it was, in Music the iTunes Music etc. Now it wants me to manualy find each song! Is there an easy way of doing this? also all my ID tags, rating play count etc, mean a lot to me....I dont want to lose them!\

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Yes, there's an easy way to do it. What it requires is that you have your library file telling itunes what is in your library on your internal HD, so don't delete that, but you can move everything onto an external HD, but you must specify that location as the iTunes Library Location in preferences.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

Yeah, i did that, then moved it back... now when I point it to the ooriginal place on the HD it wants it all being linked up again. Is there an easy way to do that?

Not sure if Im explaining myself... it says that the file cannot be found, and asks if I want to locate it...

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Try this: iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Music folder

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
pika2000

pika2000 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.spiro View Post
basically I tried to move my music onto my external HD. So it didnt work, and I changed the location on my music file in itunes to what it was, in Music the iTunes Music etc. Now it wants me to manualy find each song! Is there an easy way of doing this? also all my ID tags, rating play count etc, mean a lot to me....I dont want to lose them!\
Do you just want to move your iTunes library to an external hard-drive? Easy.
1. Go to iTunes preferences, Advance tab, General
2. Make sure you have "Keep iTunes music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder" checkboxes checked.
3. Now, it's probably a good idea to let iTunes organize your library first on the internal hard-drive before you go any further, especially if you don't have both checkboxes above checked previously. Without any other changes, exit out preferences, click Advanced on the menu, and pick Consolidate Library. This will copy all the music in your iTunes library to the specified iTunes music folder.
4. You probably get the idea by now. Now that you have iTunes organized your library, go back to iTunes' preferences, Advance tab, General, and now point the iTunes Music folder location to a folder on your external hard-drive.
5. Exit out, and do the Consolidate Library again. Now iTunes will copy all your library to your external hard-drive. Note that iTunes doesn't move the files, you still have copies of them on your internal hard-drive. Once you verified everything works, you can delete the library on the internal hard-drive.

For more details, check this site: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...ew-hard-drive/
QUOTE Thanks
mark.spiro

Thaks very much.

I used the ilounge article called Moving the Library Database and it worked great!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NEED HELP how to burn a DVD full of music using iTunes | Music conversion »