New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Any one into DJing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James-

James- will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

Well I am wanting to take up DJing nothing more than a hobby/pass time and was wondering if any one here was into it? maybe post ya set up, mixes ect or just how you got into I want to no as much about DJing asap
thanks.

"What you know you know, what you don't ant worth knowing!" Me
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

this is a good site for some more info: http://www.internetdj.com/

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

What type of music are you interested in spinning?

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Joey Sarks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by James- View Post
Well I am wanting to take up DJing nothing more than a hobby/pass time and was wondering if any one here was into it? maybe post ya set up, mixes ect or just how you got into I want to no as much about DJing asap
thanks.
Well first off my setup is a lil expensive but its definitely the one I would recommend for spinning on, 2 technics(black if possible), Allen & Heath Xone 92, some kind of looper, a guitar delay pedal(or any efx, roland sp404 is nice too), and I have an alienware laptop with serato but im switching to a macbook, windows it too much of a headache. Like I said its expensive but the more buttons and knobs you have the more fun it is....and I got into it about 9 years ago, hard to escape it when you live around Detroit. Message me if you got any ?s though, and heres a short mix I recorded while playing around on my stuff today, nothing special just a quick mix to peak at. Later

http://www.divshare.com/download/4342357-5d6

Get some Sennheisser HD25's too, awesome headphones.
QUOTE Thanks
James-

James- will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

Thanks guys I forgot Ide posted it till I relished !
Brandon Ime going to start on speed garage as Ive bin told thats the easiest and the most popular round were I live also like it but ide probably mix song I like by more unknown artists with bassline behind it.
ans yerr Joey sarks al send you a pm when I find the cash to by my set

"What you know you know, what you don't ant worth knowing!" Me
QUOTE Thanks
audiomedia808

audiomedia808 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro Quad 2.66, 1 Gig Ram, 2 x 250GB HDD, 1 500GB HDD---Black MB 2.0 Duo, 2 Gig Ram, 320GB HDD

That's cool man that you wanna get into DJ'ing. I've been doing it for a few years. They have like DJ starter packs that come with everything you need to mix right out of the box. I would however recommend that when you do purchase some tables, make sure that they are DIRECT DRIVE and not belt driven. The belt driven tables run off of a motor and a belt that runs to the platter which in time wears out and messes up the calibration. I personally use two technics 1210's and I love it. That thing is built like a beast.

I would also recommend getting Serato so that you can keep all your tracks in one place on your computer. No more hauling vinyl around.

My setup....

Tables-2x Technics 1210(about $900)
Mixer-Rane TTM-56($750)
Serato-($500)

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
slinki

slinki is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1

Been at it for bout 7 years...

I'l not make this a long post but I'd just like to say that if it was me starting out again, I wouldn't even consider vinyl turntables! Just so many disadvantages with the vinyl for a modern working DJ. Even just learning in your bedroom you would be cheaper with software.

CD decks/Computer DJ software is the way forward. Even the likes of the cortex players that let you control music from a hard drive using a normal CD deck type interface.
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinki View Post
Been at it for bout 7 years...

I'l not make this a long post but I'd just like to say that if it was me starting out again, I wouldn't even consider vinyl turntables! Just so many disadvantages with the vinyl for a modern working DJ. Even just learning in your bedroom you would be cheaper with software.

CD decks/Computer DJ software is the way forward. Even the likes of the cortex players that let you control music from a hard drive using a normal CD deck type interface.
Although I understand the point, with even Hawtin switching to full on computer setup, I think vinyl will still be around for a while. I still see very few people use cd decks unless its a cheesy club or cheesy dj, thats usually the only time I come across someone using them. The computer only setup has been making way but theres still alot of nay sayers out there slowing that process. Decks would be safe for a while in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
frydek

frydek is on a distinguished road

hey
I'm a sound engineer. Have been DJing for 8 years.
I agree with what was said before: if I had to start now, I'd go for Ableton Live. It's really good, hassle free, no need to carry heavy cases around and you can be really creative too. Plus you can use a midi controller so you can actually move faders, pots, etc..
Having said this, I still love my 1210's
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by frydek View Post
hey
I'm a sound engineer. Have been DJing for 8 years.
I agree with what was said before: if I had to start now, I'd go for Ableton Live. It's really good, hassle free, no need to carry heavy cases around and you can be really creative too. Plus you can use a midi controller so you can actually move faders, pots, etc..
Having said this, I still love my 1210's
Definitely love Ableton Live Don't really agree with people playing other peoples full tracks with it (loops i don't mind) But if you wanna produce as opposed to playing other peoples music, ive seen no other program that can match its flexibility in a live setting. Course some of the best live stuff i've heard comes from Punisher using about 10 korg machines...nothing sexier than a bunch of hardware laying out
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Sarks View Post
Although I understand the point, with even Hawtin switching to full on computer setup, I think vinyl will still be around for a while. I still see very few people use cd decks unless its a cheesy club or cheesy dj, thats usually the only time I come across someone using them. The computer only setup has been making way but theres still alot of nay sayers out there slowing that process. Decks would be safe for a while in my opinion.
LOL! Dude...are you serious? I'm not sure where you are from, but any high-end club in a major city with a major music scene will absolutely have an all-digital setup. In fact, the people I know who do still spin vinyl are starting to grumble that the vinyl tables are being slowly phased out at venues. You said yourself Richie Hawtin has gone all-digital (as have almost all pro DJs - it's hard to think of even one "big name" DJ who still spins vinyl), so I'm not sure what you mean about "cheesy clubs" or "cheesy djs."

And to James - I'm guessing you probably have a CD collection, and not a vinyl collection? That's as good a reason as any to get CD decks over vinyl - unless you want to spend thousands of dollars rebuilding your collection.

Pioneer CDJ-200 Digital CD Turntables, Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer, Technics RP-DH1200 Headphones
QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
LOL! Dude...are you serious? I'm not sure where you are from, but any high-end club in a major city with a major music scene will absolutely have an all-digital setup. In fact, the people I know who do still spin vinyl are starting to grumble that the vinyl tables are being slowly phased out at venues. You said yourself Richie Hawtin has gone all-digital (as have almost all pro DJs - it's hard to think of even one "big name" DJ who still spins vinyl), so I'm not sure what you mean about "cheesy clubs" or "cheesy djs."

And to James - I'm guessing you probably have a CD collection, and not a vinyl collection? That's as good a reason as any to get CD decks over vinyl - unless you want to spend thousands of dollars rebuilding your collection.
I'm from the Detroit area, turntables are still very prevelant here. Usually I see people playing records, using serato with control records, or doin their live pas with ableton. Barely ever catch anyone running the cd decks if there are any setup to begin with. I mean i'm definitely one to back technology and new things, but seems to me like people still love their turntables. I even look at tons of pics online from parties all over europe and canada, from what I see in the booth it never even occured to me that platters were gettin phased out.
And maybe cheesy was a bad choice of word. I just mean places like club bleu here, or djs like dan, bad boy bill, or benni benassi for example. I've definitely seen lots of trance, progressive house, hip hop, and house djs use cd decks, but I cant think of many minimal/techno djs that use em.
QUOTE Thanks
slinki

slinki is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Sarks View Post
I'm from the Detroit area, turntables are still very prevelant here...
Perhaps its your location? Who knows.

But yeah I have also found what Brandon has found, all big clubs are running digital..mostly in the form of Pioneer CDJ's but it can differ.
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Well that might explain it…I guess Detroit prides itself on being “old skool” or traditional. And there’s something to be said for that. I don’t know much about minimal/techno, but I know that techno pretty much IS the Detroit music scene, so it would make sense that among techno DJs, vinyl decks are still the norm. In many other genres, CDs replaced vinyl years ago. I’ve been to many parties overseas – Japan, Turkey, Amsterdam, and everyone is spinning CDs. It’s just much more practical, especially if you are traveling internationally. You can still scratch with CD decks (if that’s your thing), and you can increase or decrease the tempo without changing the pitch, so there’s not much reason to stick with vinyl, unless you already have a collection or are stuck in your ways, so to speak. Not to mention that you can have your entire library of 1,000+ tracks on your laptop and spin with turntables through Serato or Final Scratch, etc., and still have the feel of spinning vinyl. No need to carry around a bag with 50 records.

Actually the debate that is going on now between using a laptop & Serato versus using CD’s and digital turntables is the same debate that took place years ago between vinyl and CDs when CD turntables first came out – the traditionalists said spinning with CDs was not “real” DJing. Now there are CD DJs saying using a laptop and a mixing program is not “real” DJing. I myself have been resistant to start using a laptop and Serato (only because it’s just so easy to bring a CD wallet and headphones to a show instead of an expensive laptop), but I will probably make the switch in the next few years. It’s clearly the way of the future.

Hey Joey, is that mix you posted a techno mix? I’d like to check it out. There’s some good minimal coming out these days

QUOTE Thanks
Joey Sarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Well that might explain it…I guess Detroit prides itself on being “old skool” or traditional. And there’s something to be said for that. I don’t know much about minimal/techno, but I know that techno pretty much IS the Detroit music scene, so it would make sense that among techno DJs, vinyl decks are still the norm. In many other genres, CDs replaced vinyl years ago. I’ve been to many parties overseas – Japan, Turkey, Amsterdam, and everyone is spinning CDs. It’s just much more practical, especially if you are traveling internationally. You can still scratch with CD decks (if that’s your thing), and you can increase or decrease the tempo without changing the pitch, so there’s not much reason to stick with vinyl, unless you already have a collection or are stuck in your ways, so to speak. Not to mention that you can have your entire library of 1,000+ tracks on your laptop and spin with turntables through Serato or Final Scratch, etc., and still have the feel of spinning vinyl. No need to carry around a bag with 50 records.

Actually the debate that is going on now between using a laptop & Serato versus using CD’s and digital turntables is the same debate that took place years ago between vinyl and CDs when CD turntables first came out – the traditionalists said spinning with CDs was not “real” DJing. Now there are CD DJs saying using a laptop and a mixing program is not “real” DJing. I myself have been resistant to start using a laptop and Serato (only because it’s just so easy to bring a CD wallet and headphones to a show instead of an expensive laptop), but I will probably make the switch in the next few years. It’s clearly the way of the future.

Hey Joey, is that mix you posted a techno mix? I’d like to check it out. There’s some good minimal coming out these days
Yeah I myself use serato and the trusty turntables, my friend gives cds a chance here and there but he takes serato and control vinyl over that anyday, and my other friend will not give up on vinyl at all. Everyones different, but i still love the feel and control of vinyl even if all the music is coming from my lappy But just using cds sucks(excusay moi) in my opinion, horrible look, feel, and stigma...but yes i agree the more trendy or mainstream genre djs definitely cling to that setup, hence why my one friend gives them a chance(electro house boy)

Yeah, and brandon its a lil minimal/techno/techhouse all lumped together. Hard to put anything into genres these days in my opinion, everything can be taken so many different ways. Heres another mix I made recently...

http://www.divshare.com/download/4414796-40c

This ones a lil more housey in my opinion, never spun half of these tracks till today actually. Its a lil weaker then my usual mixing cuz ive only been able to mix in headphones this month...which I dont know maybe im different from most but i hate mixing without a monitor. Definitely harder to me and I cant get into it at all. Should be doin a planned out mix soon, much more dark and heady stuff, much more my style, ill send you that one too if your interested at all. K i'm done ranting
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« my LG CU500 mobile phone and my MAC | Help!!! »