New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cosmic

Cosmic is on a distinguished road

For some reason the M-Audio 410 Firewire Interface isn't recognized on my Macbook. I downloaded the driver from the site, installed it, then I restart my computer, plugged in/turned on the interface and it still won't recognize it. I'm pretty sure I followed the instructions correctly.

Does anyone what could be wrong? And if you have answer please be detailed if you're going to give instructions cause I just got this mac yesterday and I'm still lost (first mac ever). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

I remember the instructions saying to plug it in before you turn the mb back on.
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

Would something as silly as that make a difference? O_O I could just plug it in whenever with my PC. Should I reinstall it and do that?
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

It works fine on my MacBook, so yeah, I'd reinstall and try that.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

I already uninstalled and installed it again the CORRECT way but it still won't recognize it. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

Might want to try the previous version of the drivers (the older one).

Also, in whatever program you are trying to use it in, be sure to go into the preferences and specify that you want the 410 as your input device. Small thing, but may be your problem.

Lastly, there is a new pane in the System Preferences to adjust things on your 410, check that out too; doubtful it's got to do with that, but it might.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

Well if I click on the M-Audio icon, it should open a mixer type thing and it says it doesn't recognize it. I haven't even gotten as far as trying to use it with an actual program. I just checked the system preferences thing but I get the same error when I click it (that it's not recognized).

I guess I'll have to buy a USB one.
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

Have you tried 1) uninstalling the drivers and the application support files associated with it and installing an older version of the drivers? and 2) emailed M-Audio Tech Support?

I think I couldn't get mine working at the beginning, something about the current drivers not working so needing to use older ones (if I remember correctly that was with my 410). I emailed tech support and that's the response I got, if it was the 410 that this was the problem with.

Eric
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

1) I uninstalled it yes. Was I supposed to delete other files manually? Like I said I barely got the mac so I don't know where a lot of things are.

2) Heh I didn't even know they offered support online. I just submitted my support request.

Just curious, what version of the driver did you install?
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

The other files aren't necessary, those are usually just preference files or so.

I'm actually not sure. Don't have it on this computer, and I'm on holiday in Italy. I've got it on my iMac, but can't check that cause it's back in England.

Eric
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

I appreciate the help. They also told me to download a previous version and it works fine. I have one question though.. so you plug-in/turn on the interface BEFORE you turn on the computer, but how do you turn OFF the interface/computer? Do I shut down the computer, then the interface? (that seems like the obvious thing to do).
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

Well, with my iMac I always leave the interface plugged in and just turn it on and off. They just say not to plug it in or unplug it while the computer is on. I have hot plugged mine before and it didn't give me any problems.

Eric
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

That's play with fire man (pun intended). I already fried my firewire port on my PC doing that. You should at least buy a firewire hub in my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Starofthebar

Starofthebar is on a distinguished road

I'm a new member but I've had Mac certifications ever since 1995.

I have the same issues with my M-Audio 410.
Originally I installed it on my Mac G5 PPC 1.87 GHz. OS 10.3.9 with some difficulty.

The fact that you must install the driver first and then restart your computer and then plug the interface in is obvious. Then the following message says that if your unit still fails to connect then "Try"
to reinstall. This tells me that the connection issue is common if not expected.

After some rounds of "try this try that" I finally noticed that a successful install is likely to display a message in the lower left corner of your screen that says that "You must wait while your interface runs a firmware update".

I've since upgraded to Mac OS 10.4.11 and also to the most recent M-Audio driver version. but still I've had to fight the dreaded " non recognized interface".

Well I've since been happy with this unit, until I decided to install it on my IBook 800 MHz. w/Mac OS 10 .4.11. Well, now here I am back to square 1.

Bottom line is that it's not us, it's them ! As is often the case, it's about compatibility with "Drivers, OS and Firmware " the perfect storm for
for the "Audio User Blues" !
QUOTE Thanks
Cosmic

They told me to download this version and it works fine. Give it a try or just email support yourself.
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=....drivers&f=781
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Etymotic ER-4P a review | How to set MacPro to sync an incoming spdif signal? »