New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How Do You Strip Audio from an existing video?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Spearmac

Spearmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

I need to extract audio from video...I am working on this DVD and I found the music I need but, you guessed it, it's a video...The videos are from YouTube...I downloaded them...that's fine...but I can't seem to find the right tool to extract the audio...

I tried Nero for Macs, but somewhere along the line, a message pops up '...download for Mac OS X 10. and later will be available soon..'

I can't wait for 'soon'...my DVD takes up 37 GB, I need to finish it, burn it and get it off my Mac...It's a 2-disc affair, I've started the 2nd disc but I can't continue because the other 37 GB slows it down.

I have the Toast 6 Titanium, but can't find a place where I can extract the audio.

Help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I use Audio Hijack Pro.
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/
It harvests the audio from any source, a little flaky, but works very well!
QUOTE Thanks
Spearmac

I have a feeling this isn't going to work.

The only way I can play the videos in question is with Wimpy FLV Player, which I have, but Audio Hijack Pro has Real Player.

I have Real Player, but now that means I have to find a way to change the video files from .flv files to real player files.

Any suggestions?

I know how Nero works on PCs ... it's so easy you can convert existing files to any type you want, why doesn't Mac have something like it?.....I'm frustrated, this has been over 3 weeks I've been trying to find a solution...and I'm not getting anywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Try it again! Audio Hijack will record any sound from any source. It doesn't play the file, it simply harvests the the audio. Next to Audio Source, click Select and find Wimpy.
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Download iSquint (free.. it's designated as an ipod video converter but it will convert to any size).
Drag and drop and then convert the file from .flv into a .mp4 (the automatic, and only, format iSquint can convert to).
Import video as a clip in iMovie (I'm assuming you have this with iLife, doesn't matter the version)
Select the video file in the timline in iMovie
In the Toolbar click Advanced>Extract Audio
It will create an audio soundwave in the timeline. Drag this clip (literally will be a purple box) onto your desktop. It will create an mp3 file (usually).

This is the easiest way for me to do it anyways, without any new software.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
Van Rumplelurk

Van Rumplelurk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro , 15 inch / Mac Pro w/ 30 inch HD Cinema Display

are using fcp? you can just push apple L and it will separate audio and video.

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become." - Buddha
QUOTE Thanks
Spearmac

Thank you everyone.

iSquint seems to be working for those who wish to try the same in future.
QUOTE Thanks
Spearmac

The I Movie version I have is iMovie 6.03

Squint worked. I have the video in iTunes, it plays and you can watch it. I converted it in both iPod option and TV option...The iMovie only takes the TV option file...the video is imported as a clip in iMovie...but, I can't get it in the timeline, and also, in the Toolbar it seems that the Advanced>Extract Audio option is not allowed.

The file itself has been converted into QuickTimePlayer file...I'm stuck what do I do now.

I'm almost there...
QUOTE Thanks
Spearmac

Success !!!

I dragged and dropped my original video, which is an .flv file, in iSquint, using the setting 'Optimize for iPod.

It converted the file to a QuickTimePlayer .mp4 file. Then to extract the audio I used Audio Hijack and voila, it works !!!

Thank you everybody.
QUOTE Thanks
mikepugs

mikepugs is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Good to see you figured it out.

I'm in iMovie 6 as well and I think you're problem is you've imported but you haven't copied and pasted the movie onto the project timeline. Just as a heads up if you ever need to know, you right click the clip icon and select copy (or use the shortcut command-c) and then right click the timeline and paste (command-v). Then you have to select the video in the timeline, not just the clip. It will extract the audio onto the timeline just below the video. What it allows you to do is adjust the volume levels of the video at different parts so you can overlay music and stuff.

l 8GB iPhone 3G l 15" Macbook Pro l Powerbook G4 15" l 8GB iPod Touch l 4GB iPod Mini l
QUOTE Thanks
Forum Shark

Forum Shark is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)

If you go to http://movietomp3.com/ you can get the audio from a YouTube video. However, it takes the audio from the WHOLE video, so if that's not what you want, don't use this. Also, for this, you don't need to download anything but the audio file, so I like that little bonus.

Please follow me to Twitter! http://twitter.com/ForumShark
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Just for the record, Audio Hijack Pro would have done the job if you understood the program a little better. You were confused because the PRESET sources included Real Player. All you had to do was add a source, in this case your WMV player, and it would have handled that as easily as it did with the MP4 file.
QUOTE Thanks
Buckley1591

Buckley1591 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have learned that this is an old question.

If you can go for an audio recorder, which is available to strip audio from YouTube videos online or on your computer's hard disk, I guess it will be easy for you.

Just like using Audio Hijack, it is available to capture sound from YouTube source in DVD or other formats. Perhaps you need to check it by yourself.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie convert to MP-4 | MP4 to AVI? »