New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Trouble Uploading Video From iMovie to YouTube

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hertzinabox

hertzinabox is on a distinguished road

I have been having issues uploading video from imovie to YouTube and I have tried everything possible without success. The video is about 120MB and a little over 5 minutes. So I have tried breaking it in half and uploading it in two parts, then I tried breaking it into just one minute intervals and uploading it that way.

Every time I try to upload it, it gets about half way done and then gets stuck and shows the number of minutes left rising in number rather than decreasing, so it will start saying 7 minutes left and that will go to 8, then 9, 10 etc, and minutes later it will be up to say 65 minutes remaining, because its not progressing.

Does anyone have any thoughts or explinations as to what is happening.

By the way I have tried other sites as well, not just YouTube and have come across the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Hard to say. The upload is dependent on your upload speed. What kind of connection do you have? Dial up will take a long long long time, like 17 hours. But even the speeds with DSL or Cable modem are limiting, at least in North America.

Are you uploading directly from iMovie 08, or are you using the web interface upload?

If the half way indicated is extremely quick, then the interface is effectly lying. I notice this with WEBDAV connections from my Mac. The process claims things are loading very fast, and then you appear to hit a brick wall where the time slows to a crawl.

I suggest you try one of those 1 minute segments and just leave it alone. Time it too to get a clue of what to expect.

Note that YouTube limits you to 100MB uploads on Mac. They do have a special software app for Windows that apparently allows for upto a 1GB upload. Anyway, toy with a few of the features like playback bit rate or quality to bring the file size down just sligtly. Oh, and set the audio to mono.
QUOTE Thanks
hertzinabox

hertzinabox is on a distinguished road

Xstep, I appreciate the feedback. Nope I'm using a DSL connection with reliable quick speed. I've tried both uploading it directly from imovie 08 as well as the web interace upload and have been unsucesful with both.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I just uploaded a 15MB file via FTP to my private online presence and it took 3min 52sec. So on my line a 100MB file would take about 25 minutes. That was an upload speed of 59.78KB sec or about 475Kb/sec. Another 15MB file took 4min 44sec to upload to YouTube.

You could use DSLReports to check you upload capability.
QUOTE Thanks
F3lixP

F3lixP is on a distinguished road

I'm having exactly the same issue! It used to work perfectly and for the last 2 months i really can't upload videos on YouTube!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie and static | Multiple VOBs in VIDEO_TS folders to DVD w/ menu »