New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Photo quality issues.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

expatriate

expatriate is on a distinguished road

I just got back from a trip to Mt. Everest and have some really great, high quality photos I put into an iMovie slideshow for my family. Its version 3.0.3. Problem is that these quality photos have become heavily pixelated. Is there anyway to solve this problem so they are displayed in high resolution when I play the video?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
kodiak1007

kodiak1007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 24" 2.8 ghz

If you use the Ken Burns effect they will come out perfect. imovie treats them like video.
QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

No, it didn't work for some reason. The images are still heavily pixelated, strangely Ken Burns actually made the situation worse. Maybe the original photos are of too high a quality?
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

How high is the quality? what did you take the photos with?
QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

2000 X 3008 so 6 megapixels. They were taken on a Nikon D70.
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

What iso did u shoot at. That can determine the noise involved.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

Hi this may help you.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...399400#4399400
QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

Yeah, I tried to do the things recommended to no avail. My iphoto wont let me me export the pictures, and my iMovie wont let me choose to create an HD slideshow. I really can't explain what's going on.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

You can export the pics by just highlighting them in the iPhoto Library window them and dragging them to the Desktop. The end result is you have duplicates of those pics on your Desktop.

Can you post a screenshot of one of the pics?
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

The photos are high res, your television is a VERY low res device in comparison.
Use photoshop or similar to crop the photos down to the correct res of the tv and then sharpen them with a little unsharp mask.
QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

I can highlight and drag the photos out of iPhoto but this doesn't allow me to resize them as far as I know. I can; however, resize them manually in photoshop but there are over 450 photos and that would be overly time consuming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize.jpg (773.0 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

Oh, and I am not trying to play this on a TV. Just on my computer screen which I thought was pretty high res since the photos show up crisp and clear on both iPhoto and the 'preview' program.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

What compression are you using when you export the slideshow movie?

Even iMovie's best export settings compress video quite a bit, which would lead to the distortion in your photos.

Have you tried making the slideshow with iPhoto instead? I have never actually tired this, so I don't know what the compression would be like. It might be worth a try though.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
expatriate

I can't figure out the compression settings. I cannot find that option in my iMovie, I think I may be running a far outdated version.
Per the iPhoto suggestion, I have tried doing that but it only allows you to play one song when viewing the photos. Not desirable.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
I can't figure out the compression settings. I cannot find that option in my iMovie, I think I may be running a far outdated version.
Per the iPhoto suggestion, I have tried doing that but it only allows you to play one song when viewing the photos. Not desirable.
I apologize, I wasn't exactly as clear as I could have been.
What option are you exporting your movie as? When you choose the "Share" option to export it, you should see things like "Web", "E-mail", "CD-ROM"...etc.
One of those options would be "Expert Settings"... choose that one.

Then select "Movie to QuickTime Movie" and hit the "Options" button.

In the "Movie Settings" window that comes up, click the "Settings" button.

Another window will open and you will see "Compression Type" at the top with a drop down menu.
Choose "Animation" from the menu.
In this same window under the Motion section, set the frame rate for 29.97 fps
Under the Compressor section, set the Depth to "Millions of Colors+", then set the Quality to "Best"
Now hit the "OK" button on this window.

Back at the "Movie Settings" window, click the "Size" button.

This will open the "Export Size Settings" window
From the Dimensions drop down, choose the setting for your screen size.
(Standard TVs will be the default NTSC standard of 720x480)
Then hit "OK" to close this window.

Again, you are back to the "Movie Settings" window.
Now uncheck the box where it says "Prepare for Internet Streaming" and hit the OK button to close this window.

Now, you are at the "Save Exported File as..." window.
Name your file and save it where you would like to.

This will take some time to render, so leave it go until it is done.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 SlOW? | that THX sound »