New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie '08 - Missing iPhoto videos

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Poo Pants

Poo Pants will become famous soon enough

I have a number of video clips in iPhoto sorted into various events alongside corresponding photos.

While in iMovie, the iPhoto Video Events option only shows several events' videos. Many are missing and it's set to show all clips (even though I haven't marked anything). iMovie events are all showing up, but the iPhoto ones aren't. Is there something I'm not doing correctly? Is there a way to force iMovie to rebuild its iPhoto video thumbnails?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Poo Pants

Poo Pants will become famous soon enough

After enough digging in the Apple forums, I found someone else with a similar problem. It appears if iPhoto events have a "&" in the name, they aren't recognized by iMovie's event browser. Since I have organized many videos into events with that symbol in the name, that's probably why they aren't showing up anymore. I'll have to test it when I get home.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

I've found that even in iPhoto 06, larger video clips were not imported from my camera. So I use a different program to import video from camera.

good luck

b

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
Kdub07

Kdub07 is on a distinguished road

i have imported a clip onto iMovie from one of my folders and I want to cut certain parts out of it...how do I do that?

Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
sabotage

sabotage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poo Pants View Post
After enough digging in the Apple forums, I found someone else with a similar problem. It appears if iPhoto events have a "&" in the name, they aren't recognized by iMovie's event browser. Since I have organized many videos into events with that symbol in the name, that's probably why they aren't showing up anymore. I'll have to test it when I get home.
I signed in just to thank you for your posting. I was having exactly the same issue, and removing the & from the event fixed the issue! Now iMovie found the missing videos, and asked if I wanted to process the thumbnails.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub07 View Post
i have imported a clip onto iMovie from one of my folders and I want to cut certain parts out of it...how do I do that?
First. Stop highjacking threads. You should have posted this as a new thread.

Second. When posting questions, let people know what version of the software you are using. In your case, the answer differs depending on if you are using iMovie 08, or a previous version. Yes I do know both answers, but as with most people who respond, I don't like having to construct multiple answers.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
LostSoul 301281

LostSoul 301281 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.1GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poo Pants View Post
I registered just to say thanks.
I was having the same problem with one event not showing up in iMovie('08), even though the videos were in the event in iPhoto and in the same format as every other video I have used.
As it turned out, it was exactly the same as what you stated.
I changed the "&" to "and" in the event title and the videos are now showing up.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Big DK

Big DK is on a distinguished road

This is exactly the problem I'm having... but I changed the event in iphoto from "&" to "and" and still not showing up in imovie '09??? The file structure is still stored under the iphoto library as with the "&" (i.e. under original and modified folders).... just doing what you guys did above didn't seem to work... anything I'm missing?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
nic_kline

nic_kline is on a distinguished road

I had this problem, where it wasn't importing (but using iMovie '09). The solution was to let iMovie build the thumbnails for my imported videos.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 09/iDVD burning issues! Help! | Mac Screencast/Screen Capture »