New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

JVC Everio GZ-MG555 and IMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Three6ty

Three6ty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac

Hey guys,
New to the forum here and definately not a computer wizard.
Anyway I have a 2006 IMac.
I bought the 2007 JVC Everio HDD videocam and brought it home and the software doesn't work with Mac's. Anyway I got some basic software off their reccommended website so I can at least burn the home movies onto a disc.

I read somehwere in another thread that the 2008 IMovie software will support this Videocam. I will probably purchase the new software if that is the case.
A couple of Questions to the Group:
Does anybody know anything about this in more detail?
Will it automatically detect the files from the camera?
Will I have to convert it to some other sytle of program to get it to be recognized in the 08 I Movie software?

I just want to be able to plug my Videocamera into the computer and be able to import it directly into I movie? Will that be possible?
Thanks for the help in advance
Erik
QUOTE Thanks
jerry2090

jerry2090 is on a distinguished road

I can't amswer directly but offer a suggestion in case you cannot import from your JVC into iMovie. I use a slightly older JVC Everio with iMovie 06. I cannot import the movie directly to iMovie so I use the free software in the link:

http://www.squared5.com/

The clips can be converted easily to formats compatible with iMovie and I am ready to go from there. Only adds a few minutes to the project time.

But I have also heard that the iMovie 08 should be able to import the JVC videos directly.

Good luck.

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
Tony2002

Tony2002 is on a distinguished road

Three6ty, I have the exact same setup that you describe. I was having he same problem aswell. I ran out to Apple, purchased ILife 08 and can tell you that it will support our cameras. I have edited a few movies now and even posted on to youtube.
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

newmacuser12 is on a distinguished road

Hi i am in same situation, i have the 40GB version, just bougght today.

the sales showed me by plugging in USB to the computer and imovie found the cam. when i got home, using also imovie o8 i set everything up but nothing..........then i tried using thye craddle and firewire cable (cable not supplied) and once i hit play on the cam imovie asked me if i want to import the movie. i hit yes and then the whole movie plays and imports.

so somehow it works, i just dont understand why it has to play the whole movie on the camera (and the lcd screen)

anyway editing and saving with imovie and idvd was a blast, but imovie and idvd took about 30 minutes each to render and burn the disc with only about 25 minutes of video.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

So with your cameera, newmacuser12, it sounds like you can either drag the files over from the HDD to the mac, or you can use firewire to "import" directly to imovie.

This is what most of the miniDV users do. It is basically a realtime capture of what's on the camera. Dragging and dropping the files is faster as far as getting them on the computer, but then you need to convert them to .dv or .mp4 to make them imovie friendly. That's where MPEGStreamclip from www.squared5.com comes in.

Glad you guys are able to get everything working.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compatible cameras | How do I play uncompressed rgb AVI? »