Thread: Perian

Thumbs up Perian
    So I finally decide to try the remote that came with my new MBP. Front page is awesome. I tried last night and was able to do everything under each category (music, video, photos, DVD) EXCEPT navigate through VLC using the remote and FP. No worries; I'll use Quicktime to view my MPEG4 rip- NO GO!

So this morning, I search for "VLC and MAC Front Row' and came across a forum that suggested downloading a program that would allow QT to read MPEG4 files. Now instead of using VLC, I now use QT while in front row- the way it was meant to be used. :-)

I can now navigate properly through my movies- sound +/-, scene selection, etc.

Man, I love this machine.

Specs:
    MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jlcotton1968 View Post
    So I finally decide to try the remote that came with my new MBP. Front page is awesome. I tried last night and was able to do everything under each category (music, video, photos, DVD) EXCEPT navigate through VLC using the remote and FP. No worries; I'll use Quicktime to view my MPEG4 rip- NO GO!

So this morning, I search for "VLC and MAC Front Row' and came across a forum that suggested downloading a program that would allow QT to read MPEG4 files. Now instead of using VLC, I now use QT while in front row- the way it was meant to be used. :-)

I can now navigate properly through my movies- sound +/-, scene selection, etc.

Man, I love this machine.

I do believe you mean "Front Row". But yes, I tried that and it didn't quite work for me. I was hoping that it would support mkv too but it has trouble with it... Glad you enjoy it!

Yes, I did mean Front Row. :-)

I'm surprised that Perian doesn't have a codec for mkv.

Specs:
    MacBook / Mac Mini
    Just a small trick I learned a few days ago:

If you want the Mac to go to sleep after watching a movie or listening to music after you tucked yourself to bed... just hold down the play/pause button a couple of seconds, and the Mac goes to sleep.

Same thing to wake it up.

Thx TopDog- that's good to know.

@ mshale,

Perian does support MKV:

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:. AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats; MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, ...

Specs:
    MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jlcotton1968 View Post
    @ mshale,

Perian does support MKV:

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:. AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats; MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, ...
    Yeah, it says it does, but i still had trouble with all of the "extra" formats. I fixed it though... I installed VLC

Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    Perian + quicktime + front row plays MKV just fine. It's just that it takes a few minutes to 'load' the video in. If you open an MKV file in quicktime with perian installed, it will show a darker bar in the scale loading much like how they load during streaming videos. I can play 1080p quality MKV videos fine...

Thread Information