New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Hi Definition i-movie DVD compatibility - urgent!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cameronryan

cameronryan can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: MBP

I am on the verge of buying a new video camera - or to be exact, a 'high end camcorder' which is good enough to shoot weddings and events for a small business I am starting.

I could not find a model by my trusted Panasonic to suit my requirements but the Sony HC7 pictured below seemed to suit my needs, it shoots in Hi Def, has the ability to use external mic and just about everything I need (apart from looking professional.)

The problem is that the honest woman in the store told me that DVD's produced from the cameras footage would not be in High Definition but standard AVI format.

There was an Apple Store nearby that couldn't confirm this as they we not Sony experts just as the Thai Sony rep wasn't an Apple expert and maybe something was lost in translation.

If the camera shoots in High Def is there any reason why I would not be able to produce DVD's of weddings in High Def after importing my footage into i-movie or Final Cut?

This is something very important which I have to find out soon as I have my first assignment a week away.

Are Sony cameras generally compatible with Apples?

I have a 15" MBP - my business is just starting out so I don't have the budget for a full pro camera, besides I prefer hand held. If this woman is right then I am wasting my time getting HD - I don't understand the point in having HD if you can only see the quality when playing the DV cassette footage through the camcorder onto a TV.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I need a camera soon.

"Man's function is to live not exist."

Jack London
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

I have the HC5, the previous model. It shoots HD. The problem isn't the camera to mac or mac to cam. It's the burning. You have to have a blueray or HDDVD burner to burn HD. Then you have to find a player... You can shoot in HD, edit and then burn to standard also archive back to the tape saving HD content for future burning to HD.
QUOTE Thanks
celica73

celica73 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800

You can also play HD content if you hook your Mac directly to an HDTV.
QUOTE Thanks
cameronryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakineyj View Post
I have the HC5, the previous model. It shoots HD. The problem isn't the camera to mac or mac to cam. It's the burning. You have to have a blueray or HDDVD burner to burn HD. Then you have to find a player... You can shoot in HD, edit and then burn to standard also archive back to the tape saving HD content for future burning to HD.
So it doesn't matter which camcorder I get then as I would need a special HD DVD burner anyway? ....Because my MBP - like most computers can only burn standard?

If this is the case then my problem is solved, I have nothing to lose and may as well go ahead and get the HC7 - I assume you're happy with your Sony?

Please confirm and thanks again.

Jack London
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronryan View Post
So it doesn't matter which camcorder I get then as I would need a special HD DVD burner anyway? ....Because my MBP - like most computers can only burn standard?
Correct
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

You should look into Canon's set of HD camcorders. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=172

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

After reading this post I started playing with DVD Studio Pro. I added some HD content from Final Cut Pro and created a regular DVD that plays HD content. Well, on my computer anyway with DVD Player. Since I do not have an HD DVD or Blu Ray player, I can't tell you if they would recognize the disc. My brothers older DVD player couldn't understand the disc. In fact the Sony said "The Disk is Dirty"!

It looks like Adobe Premier can create Blu Ray discs. I thought that Toast 8 might be able to, but haven't been able to confirm that. Perhaps the Apple forum for DSP has some info on that.

By the way, the camera used was a Canon HV10a. I've been very impressed with the limited items I've seen from it. Nice color & contrast and very sharp images. Canon does have a tarnished reputation for their transport mechanisms though.

Buying into HD might not be a bad idea as you can learn and play with it now, and when the burning technology, and customers ownership of HD players rises, you'll be ready to deliver the format.
QUOTE Thanks
cameronryan

I have heard that Sony also have a questionable rep for mass produced crappy parts - esp in Bangkok.

Jack London
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Movie Player ------> Desktop | Does Mac-mini play x264 HD-videos? »