New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Burning .avi files to play on topset DVD player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Erictherad

Erictherad is on a distinguished road

Help please! I'm at the end of my rope.
What I'd like to do is quite simple, really. I have a few .avi files I want to burn to a dvd (to play on a topset DVD player). First off, I've already converted all the .avi files to VOB format, so they're ready to go. However, when I assemble them all together, the total size is more than 4.7G, thus I need to compress the files. So, I compressed the VOB files using DVD2oneX2, burned the DVD and everything came out great -except that I can't skip through the different files, in other words there are no chapters. I have to fast forward!
In addition, I can't use Toast to compress because it doesn't allow you to burn multiple VOB files onto one disc!
Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

Use iDVD, set up your chapters, then in preferences there should be a setting that says Best Quality. This makes it fit whatever volume of info you have onto the DVD at the best possibel quality.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
Erictherad

I haven't had much luck with iDVD. It doesn't have any compressor in it. If the video goes over 2 hrs., or 4.2G, you're out of luck.
I'd like to know how to edit IFO files (I believe those are the right ones) so I can create my own chapters, then I'd use DVD2one to burn the VOB files and be done with it. Trouble is, I haven't been able to find any IFO editing software for mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Erictherad

Okay, after buckets and buckets of blood, sweat and tears I finally figured out a way to burn many .avi files to a single dvd. All you need is Toast. Just click on "DVD/Video" and drag all of your .avi files. Then save it as a disc image, which will take a little while to complete. Then, in Toast go to Copy (on the left side of the screen) then to Image File. That way, you can use the "fit to dvd compression". Et voilà!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Martin.

Martin. is a jewel in the roughMartin. is a jewel in the rough

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

download this. its pretty easy to use.... just make sure that you check the option "create a fully compatible dvd" in the prefs.

~Martin.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« weird, problem with final cut pro | PAL format issue »