New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

From Canon to iMac to DVD???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jim007

jim007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 20"

Hello all

My dad has had some tapes he recorded, while on holiday, on his Canon ZR30MC Mini DV Camcorder which is in NTSC format. I told him I would try and convert them on my iMac but I'm not sure what I need to connect the camcorder to my iMac. Now the iMac I have is a 2GHz Intel Core Duo and I need to know how to get the movie files converted to PAL and then to DVD also.

If anybody can help me, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Does the camera have a firewire port? If so you will need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable to connect the camera to the computer. Once connected you should be able to use iMovie to get the video off of the camera. I don't know if yiou can change the format of the video in iMovie. I believe you can in Final Cut Express.

Hopefully someone else will come along and clear this up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Kellyfirst

Kellyfirst is on a distinguished road

Jim007

I was just loaned a Canon ZR45 recorder. I bought the firewire cable referred to by "rman" at Radio Shack -- it was about $45.

My problem is pretty basic. I hooked up the cable to my Mac and turned the camera on. It didn't show up on the monitor as a source like an Ipod would, even when I started the Canon running the tape.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Place the camera in VCR mode, then start iMovie. The iMovie application should see the camera and you should be able to control the camera from with in iMovie.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
jim007

jim007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel 20"

Thanks for the help guys... but could anybody tell me the easiest way to convert these movies from NTSC to PAL? rman said it might be possible in Final Cut Express...
QUOTE Thanks
alucard

alucard is a jewel in the roughalucard is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon W/3GB Ram & 250GB HDD

visual hub might do it but its a paid program. Here is the website to take a look:

http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/
QUOTE Thanks
pnstps

pnstps is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2G RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Does the camera have a firewire port? If so you will need a 4pin to 6pin firewire cable to connect the camera to the computer. Once connected you should be able to use iMovie to get the video off of the camera. I don't know if yiou can change the format of the video in iMovie. I believe you can in Final Cut Express.

Hopefully someone else will come along and clear this up.
So you just can't do it via regular USB? My Samsung SC-D6550 Duo Cam only has USB.....and iMovie doesn't do ANYTHING when I plug it in....
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnstps View Post
So you just can't do it via regular USB? My Samsung SC-D6550 Duo Cam only has USB.....and iMovie doesn't do ANYTHING when I plug it in....
If this is a tape based camera, then no, iMovie cannot deal with it. Look for alternative methods which have been discussed many times here.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ripping and burning copyright-protected DVDs | Editing AVI using FCP »