New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Rip DVDs from other regions, not currently set on my internal DVD-R Superdrive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knapster

Hello

My question is about ripping DVDs from regions other than that currently set on my Powerbook 15".

I have a region 1 disk and my PB is region 2. Is it technically possible to copy the data on the dvd (DVD backup 1.3 etc.) while avoiding a change to the DVD hardware region code.

DVD backup for example, requires authentication from DVD Player before you can encode the disk. (the bottom line is that I want to copy the disk without its region code so I can play it to the region my PB is currently set, or on my DVD player).

Is this possible? Any advice on this, or the region code issues? No firmware update is available for my drive, so can't go that route.

Thanks in advance for help

K
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

DVD2one X (if your running OS X) will allow you to remove/set the region code.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11518
QUOTE Thanks
knapster

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware that software can rip out the region code (I'm depending on it) - but can it do it without authenticating the drive first? I tried Mac the ripper and it wont rip without autheticating the drive to another zone first. I can't even play dids from other regions on VLC - I've heard the drive in my new (and latest) Powerbook is somehow super locked to prevent these sorts of software work-arounds.

Can anyone confirm this?

If anyone has had joy with the above software, then let me know. Can you rip direct or do you create a video_ts folder first?

K
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Toast Error 18771..Fix (Maybe) | How to convert DivX/XviD files into DVD-Rs ? »