Playing DVD movies through the television?
    Hi everyone!

OK, this may be the most stupid question ever entered on here, so apologies in advance . . .

BUT . . .

I have a G4 Powerbook, and want to play DVDs through my TV. The PowerBook came with some kind of white dongle adaptor thing for this very purpose. One end is a firewire connector, but I don't *think* the other end is meant to go directly into the TV. For a start, it doesn't match up to any of the ports on my TV, and besides it is no where near long enough.

Does anyone know what additional cable I need to get, in order to complete the hook-up??

And okay, the end that I called Firewire may not actually be firewire, i can see that now. But it sort of looks like Firewire. And the other end has two rows of eight tiny holes. Also, I am in the UK, so although I don't have any S-video ports on my TV, I do have a spare SCART slot.

So, maybe I can buy something to plug into the SCART port at one end, and then plug the other end into this dongle thing that I have . . . but I will need to know what the dongle thing is so I know what kind of adaptor to get??

Any ideas?

Mount Vernon, WA
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    I think the one that I have is an S-Video to female video port. So what you need is a double male video wire and that should do it. Now if you have something else.. then Im not sure what to tell you.

Try an adapter....
    I think you might need something like this , an adapter to give you input via the S-Video Cable to the Scart socket.

My PB came with a S-video to phono lead: phono to scart leads are very common!

The S-video to scart would be a better quality solution though.

Cheaper variations on the above adapter are available for as little as 1.00

Thanks very much (to both of you)! I will check it out . . .

Hi, Sorry, me again . . .

Okay, I got the little dongle that I needed, and my Powerbook is all hooked up to my TV, and the DVD is showing on my PowerBook screen, but I am not sure how to 'tell' the PowerBook to display the picture on the TV screen?

Anyone know?

Should it be happening automatically?

Thread Information