New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Burning .wmv files to DVD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ourhero

ourhero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G

Hi, I would like to burn a .wmv file to DVD in order to play back in a normal DVD player.

I've tried using iDVD but the file, I think, seems too large (it runs to 1hr 48mins) and struggles to a halt.

I've tried to move it into iTunes but iTunes doesn't seem to like it either.

I've tried to simply move it to a fresh disc and burn it but even that's coming up as being too big.

Can someone guide me?

Thanks, John
QUOTE Thanks
Dixon Deeper

Dixon Deeper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini

I don't think iDVD will work with .wmv files. Best bet would be to download a program like iSquint/Visual Hub, which will convert the .wmv to .mp4 - you can also adjust the quality setting for the conversion and optimize the size for tv.

If the file is too lengthy, you may have to use Toast to burn it. I believe it has a utility that allows you to fit longer files onto a regular DVD. Barring that, I suppose you'd have to use a dual layer DVD.

iDVD seems to be more concerned with the time/length of the file, even if it isn't a very large file in terms of hard drive space. I've tried to burn 5 or 6 500-600mb files that are maybe an hour long onto a single layer disc for playback, but iDVD always says that the files are too long - yet I've seen a million homemade single layer DVD's with 8 or 9 hour long television episodes burnt on them for playback in a normal DVD player.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

.wmv is gonna be tough on a mac. You might try converting it to .mp4 first, then using iDVD again. You mac specs look like they should handle the iDVD render fine, and I believe that there is a setting in iDVD that you can change to Best Quality, and it iwll make the file fit on the DVD with the best quality possible.

Check out the Tech Tips link and just replace .bin with .wmv to use VLC Media player to convert the file.
QUOTE Thanks
ourhero

ourhero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G

Thanks, I've downloaded VisualHub and will give it a peruse for a few days before registering the full-blown version. Looks good so far.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Working with Premiere & Final Cut? | .VRO files »