New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Do International DVDs Work on a Macbook???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marymelody

marymelody is on a distinguished road

Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a macbook (obviously) from the US but currently live in Europe. I play my American DVDs on here but would also like to play European DVDs. Is this possible? I know that they are 2 different codes but i was hoping that there might be a special download or code to make it so i can play both types of DVDs. I dont want to try because I dont want to screw anything up. If anyone knows anything about this type of thing it would be wonderful if you could help me out.
thnx
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

There is usually a limited number of times you can change a "region code" on a dvd-rom/dvd burner. I never believed in region coded dvds, if anything it makes ppl pirate more.
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

You can change the region coding, but you can only do it a set number of times (about 5) before it sets itself permanently, and you'll need to re-flash the firmware to be able to change it again. It's free, but can be tricky and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

The easiest and most convenient (although expensive) way, if you're going to have a large library of DVDs from both regions is to buy a second DVD drive. You can get them for about 40 (and probably less), but you'll have to use VLC to play the DVDs (Apple DVD Player only supports built-in DVD drives).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytwolf View Post
There is usually a limited number of times you can change a "region code" on a dvd-rom/dvd burner. I never believed in region coded dvds, if anything it makes ppl pirate more.
I couldn't agree more. You can pay for something and have it restricted, or not pay for something and have no restrictions on it... where's the incentive to pay? I don't blame the people that take part in piracy one bit... they must be laughing at the rest of us. I think the content providers have no-one to blame but themselves for piracy.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ram from third party for mac | Maximum read and write »