Thread: toast

Specs:
    13 Inch Macbook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Memory, 120GB Hard drive, Double layer Super Drive
    toast
    i have toast and it takes over 3 hours to encode the dvd before it can burn it. i did a search and figured out that this is at least somewhat normal and i saw that one guy suggested a USB hardware thing to speed it up. the one he suggested is 100 bucks and i dont wanna spend that much. are there cheaper ones, or is there software you can get to speed it up? i was also wondering if u could make some adjustments to the toast settings to make it any faster. i am new to toast so any help would be appreciated.

Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFellSwoop View Post
    i have toast and it takes over 3 hours to encode the dvd before it can burn it. i did a search and figured out that this is at least somewhat normal and i saw that one guy suggested a USB hardware thing to speed it up. the one he suggested is 100 bucks and i dont wanna spend that much. are there cheaper ones, or is there software you can get to speed it up? i was also wondering if u could make some adjustments to the toast settings to make it any faster. i am new to toast so any help would be appreciated.
    I think you're talking about the turbo.264? That wouldn't help you with encoding DVDs: you'd need an MPEG-2 encoding hardware accelerator. I don't actually know of any, but I doubt they'd be any cheaper than $100.

Different applications will encode MPEG-2 at slightly different speeds and with various quality results. I believe Toast uses QuickTime for the conversion which is notoriously slow (although often produces the best results). Try using Handbrake to get all your video into MPEG-2 format before you burn a DVD with Toast and you should see your times decrease. It will also let you adjust the quality (lower quality = faster encode).
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
    Or beg/steal/borrow/purchase an 8 core Mac Pro

Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    Also, just for a comparison; my PMG4 will convert a DVD to H.264 in..... 80 hours!

My dad's MBP (I think it's the 1.8GHz CoreDuo) will do it in under 3.

3 hours isn't that long to wait. Just think of the poor sods who had to do this on the iMac DV.
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.

Thread Information