New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Mac for hdv editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac-daddy

mac-daddy is on a distinguished road

Hi. I am interested in getting a mac pro for hdv editing. I am unsure of weather or not it will be up to the task with my hardware selections. Here are the specifications:

* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 4GB (4 x 1GB)
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English

I was worried that the 4 gbs of ram might be too slow. I am not made of money though, and spending another $2000 for 8 gbs of Ram (4x 2 gbs modules as opposed to 8x 1 gb modules because then I could upgrade to 16 gbs, but I don't know if that is needed), is a bit expensive. Keep in mind that I need to buy a camera as well. My main concern is that with 4 cores of processing power, will each one use 1 gb of memory? If so, wouldn't it be like operating a single core with 1 gb of memory?

I just don't want to turn it on expecting to be able to edit smoothly and then realize that my Ram is not sufficient enough.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

PS. The cameras I will be uploading video from are: The Sony FX1, the Canon XH-A1 and the Panasonic AG-HVX200.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

It will be fine, I edit HD video on my MacBook with 2 gig
QUOTE Thanks
mac-daddy

How many cpu cores does your macbook have? Do you experience any lags or freeze-ups while rendering?
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Going by the sys. req. of FCP; 2GB is required for HD editing, and 4GB is recommended.

Quote:
I was worried that the 4 gbs of ram might be too slow. I am not made of money though, and spending another $2000 for 8 gbs of Ram (4x 2 gbs modules as opposed to 8x 1 gb modules because then I could upgrade to 16 gbs, but I don't know if that is needed), is a bit expensive. Keep in mind that I need to buy a camera as well. My main concern is that with 4 cores of processing power, will each one use 1 gb of memory? If so, wouldn't it be like operating a single core with 1 gb of memory?
First of all, just get the minimum amount of RAM from Apple, and buy extra elsewhere (prices for Apple's RAM is OTT).

I'm not sure how the memory is managed, but even if 1GB is assigned to each core, it won't be like running a single core machine with 1GB of RAM... it would be like running 4 single core machines, each with 1GB of RAM all sharing the workload.

With those specs I guarantee it will do absolutely anything you throw at it, and providing the apps support multi-threading, it will do it flipping fast!

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
mac-daddy

Interesting. I have read that apple's ram is way too expensive, but would they honor an extended warranty if I were to get ram from another source and install it myself? Also, can you buy ram that is as fast as the ram apple use? I really hate messing with computers and don't want to mess up my $6000 investment but it would be great to have more ram for less money than what apple sells theirs for.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

i do HDV editing on my 1.83 CD imac with 1.5 gig of ram with no rendering issues, etc.

that mac pro is way more than you will need honestly. but hey, if youve got the money, go for it.

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Adding third-party RAM won't affect your warranty; but if you damage other components while fitting it (I don't think you would/could... it's made to be user installable), or if the third-party RAM was faulty then that obviously wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Check here for memory.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan View Post
i do HDV editing on my 1.83 CD imac with 1.5 gig of ram with no rendering issues, etc.

that mac pro is way more than you will need honestly. but hey, if youve got the money, go for it.
If he's doing anything intense then its probably less then what he needs, I have a quad g5 and it barely gets me by.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

lol 8GB. Please don't wast you money with that much Ram. 2-4GBs are all you need especially if you don't have money to wast. You might even find that buying a external hard drive is cheaper as well, maybe you could even get a 1TB HD, and 250-500gb of internal memory if you need a lot of space. The CPU speed is a nice speed but if you want the other configuration you might as well go with the 3.0GHZ. The graphics card is a little high to, i would think that 256mb would be enough but all this depends on what and how seriously you are editing and you demand with the productions. And I also have a FX1. PM me if you want to know more.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
mac-daddy

Basically I want a system that will be able to handle demanding processes if need be, and I also want it to be usable in 4-5 years. I hate not having enough power in a computer to do what I need it to. As to what I need it to do, I am editing low-budget features and creating music as well. I may even get into basic effects etc.
QUOTE Thanks
CAMERA MAN

CAMERA MAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Mac Book Pro 2.4ghz 6gb Ram 320gb HD - G5 2x2.0ghz- 23" Apple Display - 2 Sony FX1s

What editing software do you think you will be using.

Final Cut Studio 3
QUOTE Thanks
mac-daddy

I will be using the latest version of final cut pro as well as adobe premiere 2.0 and vegas video.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-daddy View Post
How many cpu cores does your macbook have? Do you experience any lags or freeze-ups while rendering?
Two cores

No lags, or freeze ups
QUOTE Thanks
mac-daddy

No lags? Great.

I have realized that I can install the ram and hds myself, which will significantly lower the price. These are my new specs:

-x2 3.0 ghz quad core intel xeon cpus
-ati x1900 512mb gpu

(everything else stock). plus:

-4 gbs of ram (x2 2gbs. Purchased from third party).
-x1 74 gb 10,000 k wd raptor hd (Purchased from third party).
-x1 500 gb wd 7200 rpm sata2 hd (purchased from third party).

The great thing about this is that I will only be spending about $500-$700 more for a huge difference in cpu power as well as the ability to upgrade my ram if need be. Does anyone know the ghz equivalent of 2 3.0 quad core xeons vs. two dual core 2.66 ghz xeons? It seems the 3.0 ghz qcs would be over twice as fast as the 2 2.66 ghz cpus, but I am not sure.

Is it normal to get a boner from buying a new pc? Lol.
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

Yes, it is normal. I had one when I bought My 17" MacBookPro. Delicious. Btw, I personally wouldn't buy WD HDs, I've just had a lot of them die on me and losing 500+ gB worth of projects etc is no fun. I prefer Seagate, but that's just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Simple Program to Make Advertisements? | imovie bluetooth audio »