Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Movies and Video (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/)
-   -   iMovie not exporting properly (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/71519-imovie-not-exporting-properly.html)

clem13 07-31-2007 06:20 PM

iMovie not exporting properly

Ok, I have this video that I've made in iMovie, which plays fine all the way through in iMovie. When I export it (I've tried it with several different settings) it seems to stop part way through when I try to play it later. Well, it doesn't stop, but the audio carries on while it's stuck on one frame. Also, the size of the exported file is much, much smaller than it should have been. Any idea on how to fix this?

Oh, and with a very similar video that I made before, it used to export fine.

Del 08-01-2007 04:38 AM

Try a different type of DVD.

This happened me ONCE using +R discs and re-burning to a -R disc cured it.

+R discs work fine on my DVD player but that particular one was for someone else and their player wasn't fully compatible with +R discs

Del 08-01-2007 04:39 AM

Or did you mean the movie file itself wont play back? ie before burning to DVD

clem13 08-01-2007 12:20 PM

I'm not burning to a DVD at all. The movie plays back in Quicktime and VLC, but then at one point the video freezes, but the audio carries on.

Del 08-01-2007 05:32 PM

In that case it sounds to me (but im no expert) that the video file is corrupt

clem13 08-01-2007 05:55 PM

What video file? Inside the project, there are several different clips, and all of them are fine.

Del 08-02-2007 04:34 AM

The individual clips are movie files converted to the dv format (on import).

The exported file is also a movie file.

akp 08-11-2007 05:50 PM

I am experiencing the exact same problem and it is driving me crazy.

I first exported it at Full Quality, then exported it using the Expert Settings at a much lower resolution (suitable for YouTube).

The low-res MP4 version works fine, but the Full Quality version visually freezes about mid-way through - while the audio marches on. The freeze occurs on the first frame of one of the imported video clips. This occurs on my Intel MacBookPro running 10.4.10 (iMovieHD 6.0.3) and also when playing back on a separate Windows XP Pro PC.

I tried moving the clip and re-exporting, but it still freezes on the first frame of that clip (even though the clip occurs earlier). I tried re-importing that clip. I tried importing that clip into an empty project and exporting it at Full Quality by itself - which works fine, but then importing that new clip into my larger project still fails in the same way after exporting again. I tried clipping off 1 second of that clip, re-exporting it alone, then importing that adjusted clip into my larger project - and it still freezes on the first frame of that clip.

Finally, I tried re-exporting a higher-res MP4, but that also fails and freezes on the same frame! This is driving me crazy. I am hoping clem13 found a solution, or that someone else has an idea of something to try...

clem13 08-12-2007 06:30 PM

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a solution. :(
I also have some other videos I have to export , and I hope they export properly.

akp 08-12-2007 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply clem13. I am sorry to hear that you are still unable to export that video properly either. I was finally able to get mine to export at a medium resolution as an MP4 -- but I still cannot export it successfully at Full Quality or higher resolution MP4.

I will keep an eye here in case someone else has a solution, or post back if I find anything useful elsewhere.

clem13 08-13-2007 08:07 PM

I managed to export it. :)
It's not full quality or anything, but I exported it as a .wmv. I can't remember what exact settings I used.

Del 08-14-2007 04:47 AM

Surely there is no such thing as a full quality MP4? MP4 is a compressed format is it not?

clem13 08-14-2007 08:05 AM

I was never outputting it as an mp4, but a mov.

xstep 08-14-2007 04:07 PM

I have to wonder if cutting out the first frame or two of the problem clip would solve both your problems. Might be worth a try.

Del 08-14-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clem13 (Post 462699)
I was never outputting it as an mp4, but a mov.

was replying to the other poster